Windows 10 stuck at welcome screen

Reaction score
Hey there,

I am using Dell Latitude laptop with 8 GB RAM. i have upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Everything is working fine but one thing which is much annoying is, sometimes windows gets stuck at welcome screen. I have waited for 1-2 hrs, but it didn't started. It happens every time i reboot the machine. can anyone please suggest me the troubleshooting. (also there is no any heavy startup program, just windows default)

Bif

Reaction score
Sounds like a program isn't loading properly at startup,when it finally loads and you login run SFC/SCANNOW at elevated command prompt.This will check the integrity of the file system and repair any that might have been corrupted during upgrade.Also check all of your start-up programs and anything that isn't needed and allot isn't simply disable.

Reaction score
Hi Bif,
Thanks for your reply. I re-checked for startup programs, but didn't find any heavy one there. Only default programs are there like - One Drive, Chrome, Skype etc. Also i ran the system check using SFC/SCANNOW. but didn't find any integrity issues. But problem still persists. :(

Reaction score
I am treading on thin ice here.
I have not done disk check for at least a year, maybe 2.

In my opinion, you need to check your disk for errors.
Here is the initial test...................
right click at your Local disk C: drive > click Properties > click Tool tab at the top > under Errors checking, click Check.
It will take a long time, I think.
See what report you get after that.

Bif

Reaction score
Hi Bif,
Thanks for your reply. I re-checked for startup programs, but didn't find any heavy one there. Only default programs are there like - One Drive, Chrome, Skype etc. Also i ran the system check using SFC/SCANNOW. but didn't find any integrity issues. But problem still persists. :(

Your are very welcome,
Just to ad..Skype and One Drive or Chrome certainly do not need to load at startup and may very well be causing the issue..especially Skype as it's always trying to connect to either your MS account or lord knows what else.Give it a try anyways and see if it makes a difference and please post back your results.

Reaction score
Hi

You could try booting into safe mode and see it the problem goes away.
If it does then something you are loading is probably responsible.

If that's the case you can narrow it down, if it's one of your startup items.

I use CCleaner to manage my Startup items but you can do it anyway you prefer.

In CCleaner I just uncheck everything and reboot, if it boots OK, activate several options and reboot again.

If it doesn't boot OK, with nothing checked, then you'll have to look at more basic stuff like video drivers, etc.

Check Device Manager to make sure that there aren't any error icons showing.

Just keep doing it that way until you narrow it down.

When it stalls you will know that one of the last things you activated is the problem.

Personally I only load about one third of the things that Windows would load by default.

Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is your internet connection n a good one?
When you get to the welcome screen, the first thing the OS does is attempts to connect. You can easily see if this is OK by watching the icon on the welcome screen for the internet symbol.
It then looks for,updates. One of the built in so-called new features

Ask a Question