Keyboard Ctrl - Alt stuck, can't log in to windows

Reaction score
This has really ruined my day!

This morning, after a Windows 10 update on my pc I started having issues with the keyboard switching to the Alt Gr mode on its own. It would switch on and off seemingly at random, before finally sticking permanently. To be specific, when the on screen keyboard was displayed, both ctrl keys and alt were constantly pressed.
I tried various solutions, including a different keyboard, to no avail. I thought it might be a problem with the settings, but rebooting turned out to be a really bad idea because now I cannot log in. The mouse is not properly usable either. Tried going into safe mode but it wants keyboard input to select that option.

Is there anything else I can do at this point? I'm totally stuck. Please help me if you can!

Reaction score
Sounds as if the keyboard does have a problem, could be as simply as something has fallen under the keys like cookie crumbs. I set the keyboard on its edge [space bar edge] and tap it on the desk to see if anything falls out. I also use compressed air made for the purpose to blow out any foreign material. Otherwise, if not wanting to take all the screws out to clean it I'd say borrow one or get a new one.

Reaction score
Sounds as if the keyboard does have a problem, could be as simply as something has fallen under the keys like cookie crumbs. I set the keyboard on its edge [space bar edge] and tap it on the desk to see if anything falls out. I also use compressed air made for the purpose to blow out any foreign material. Otherwise, if not wanting to take all the screws out to clean it I'd say borrow one or get a new one.

Thanks for replying! My keyboard could certainly do with cleaning, so I will try this today. However I did try a different keyboard yesterday and it did not change anything.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reboot your system into Safe Mode and see if the same problem persists.
Hold the Shift key down and choose Restart from the power option icon on the sign-in screen.

Reaction score
If you have the mouse and keyboard plugged into USB 3 ports try switching them to USB 2.0 ports and the reboot. Worth a try. After some Windows 10 updates USB 3 drivers are sometimes deleted. USB 2.0 usually will work. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I really can't do anything with the keyboard plugged in. I uninstalled all devices under 'Keyboards' in device manager, and the keyboard worked normally for about ten minutes before the problem reappeared. Still using the pc with the mouse and on-screen keyboard but it's a pain

Ask a Question