SOLVED Windows 10 Updates Notifications

Reaction score
I have a notification for a scheduled update "Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2553248) 32-Bit Edition" and "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163018)."

I don't use MS Outlook and would like to cancel the recent "Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2553248) 32-Bit Edition" How can I achieve that, Is it a wise move to cancel? I understand that deferring security updates Windows will install them after a cool off period.

When I look at details of the updates; "Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2553248) 32-Bit Edition" says "Error" ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you have the 2010 Office Suite installed, whether you use all of its' components or not, it's going to want to install updates.
As far as details go....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29361
AND
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2553248
I can't see it causing a problem and since you don't use it anyway, you probably would never notice if it did.
The questions is why don't you use it. It's one of the better email client software products that I've personally ever used.

Reaction score
Trouble thanks!
I do have MS Office 2010 and used MS Outlook mail exclusively. I stopped using Outlook years ago when I switched service providers, and I agree it's a pleasure to use, and the calendar feature is one of the best. I should attempt to reactivate it but I've completely forgotten how to set it up Incoming, outgoing, POP this and POP that. I'll take a look and see how to set it up for mail.

After I posted above I opened up MS Outlook mail. Win 10 configured it all automatically took it 1 minute total. I love the look and the layout, I had forgotten what it looked like, much better than my service providers email program. The only concern I have it say MS Outlook Trial. I don't know what that's all about. Maybe I have to pay the MS app store to use it? If that's the case, it would be worth it to have an excellent program. Trouble Thanks for the nudge. ;)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only concern I have it say MS Outlook Trial
That doesn't sound right. I assumed that your version of Microsoft Outlook was part of your 2010 Microsoft Office software package. Based on your earlier posting about the update being applied to Outlook 2010.
Be aware that some versions of Microsoft Office do not include Microsoft Outlook as part of their particular version.
It sounds to me like you may have gotten into trial offerings that Microsoft seems to spread around carelessly, often bundled on some computers.
Can you check the version of Outlook you are running to see if it corresponds with Office 2010.

Reaction score
Got it all sorted out. When I activated my Office install on Wednesday I inadvertently checked of trial version of Office 2016.

Ask a Question