SOLVED WINDOWS 10 UPDATES

Reaction score
A couple of hours ago I saw that I had updates waiting to be installed. So I clicked install now. My computer then shut down and a rotating circle appears on the screen with the word "Restarting". That was 2 1/2 hours ago. What am I supposed to do now? I'm afraid to try anything right now. It was working beautifully. No start problem like so many people are having. It was a new computer with Windows 10 installed. I'd appreciate anybody's suggestions. Thank you!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I hate to get involved in these types of questions as anything I suggest is likely to be wrong, but.......
If it just says restarting and that is all, and it has remained on the restarting screen for two and a half hours and Ctrl + Alt + Delete doesn't impact or change what you see at all then I would restart it myself.
That's an "I" as in me.... what you ultimately decide is your decision.
Do you have a good and recent backup of critical data, do you have a disk image?
I'm wondering, did you happen to notice the "updates waiting to be installed"? Was it the big November update that some seem to be getting now that their 30 days are expiring?

Reaction score
Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing. Shutting the computer off does nothing. When I turn the computer back on the restarting circle is still there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Shutting the computer off does nothing
Sounds like your computer is unusable.
Are you certain that it is shutting down completely.
It may require a hard reboot, which could involve.....
Removing it from AC power
IF it is a laptop, removing the battery
Holding the Power Button for a count of 30 to discharge any residual energy in the capacitors, before.......
Replacing the battery (if it is a laptop)
Reconnecting it to AC power.

Reaction score
I wanted to try your suggestion only to find that my battery is not removable. I went to an HP forum and found that there is a button combination that shuts down the power but I haven't been able to find out what that combination is yet. I will try calling HP tomorrow. Thank you for trying.

Reaction score
I found a button and pushed it along with the Start button, held both for over 30 seconds. When I released them the computer restarted with a message that it was in computer repair mode. When all was done the computer starts and functions normally and updates have been installed. So all is well. Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great news..... I can finally uncross my fingers.
Definitely a bit of good fortune and good luck, maybe consider buying that lottery ticket now. With luck going your way.... who knows.

Ask a Question