Windows 10 WD_F Violation Blue Screen. PC will not start up

Reaction score
Upgraded and installed Windows 10 some weeks back from Windows 7. All went well and used 10 for weeks without issue. Attempted to shut down and screen locked with no way out. Did a force shut down, attempted to restart and got the WD_F Violation blue screen and automatic repair spinning wheel on blue screen.. Allowed that to go on for hours to no avail. Hit escape for start up menu and attempted system recovery.. repair etc.. nothing doing back to :( blue screen stating WD_F violation..

Is there anyone that can help including you Microsoft a guy that is very non technical that just wants his PC back? I have no rescue disk or recovery point on PC to help. My bad I know but ill take a course to find out how to going forward to prevent this again if need be.

I've read about 40 threads on this and most point to click this or that but there's nothing to click because it just spins repair, restart, violation loop, so how can I click settings etc..

Is there a rescue or repair download Microsoft has that is available? Factory reset is not an option as I'm an idiot obviously and have no restore points or back up usb or disk to restore a few years of data..

I regret upgrading to 10, but that damn message to upgrade for months on bottom task bar got the best of me.. if anyone can help with a solution in simple not too tech terms you'd be a hero to I am sure not only me but many others..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Windows Drive Foundation error that you are receiving suggest, just that..... a drive problem.
If you are lucky then it might just be a problem with your display adapter driver and a safe mode boot might get you over the hump, but.....
You will need to do some work first....
You will need boot media, specifically the version of Windows 10 and architecture type you have presently installed on your system.
Fortunately
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench (my personal choice or preference)
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
Navigate the screens as follows
AdvancedOptions.JPG
Choose Advance options

Troubleshoot.JPG
Choose Troubleshoot

CommandPrompt.JPG
Choose Startup Settings

From there you should see a Restart Button and then subsequently you should see a screen that allows you to choose #4 for plain Safe Mode or #5 for Safe Mode with networking.
I would suggest #4 just in case your network driver is causing the driver foundation error.
From safe mode you should be able to copy off your critical data to an external USB connect resource, and then maybe address the driver issue.

Ask a Question