Windows 7 and Windows 10 on same computer

Reaction score
Can a cloned window 7 drive be restored to a partitioned windows 10 drive so that I have the ability to boot to both systems without losing any programs or files?

Reaction score
Not that I know of. I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 on my pc's where possible, however these are installs as a dual boot system. Even if you are able to clone the Windows 7 partition to a free unused partition on your Windows 10 machine, that doesn't make sure it will run as a normal Windows 7 system has several partitions that it needs to run (for once, there is the system partition, then there is the recovery partition). After that you will need a boot manager that actually can boot into Windows 7.

There may be a way, but I do not know how that can be made to work.

Reaction score
The best way I can think of is to wipe the drive completely and then use the free space to add your cloned Win 7 and then install Win 10 afterwards!. A bit long winded but if you back up your Win 10 data to an external storage medium (USB stick or NAS), the only real problem is re-installing Win 10, you can of course clone Win 10 too, just make sure you have enough space on the drive for both systems!. :)

Ask a Question