SOLVED Two same Laptops one updated to Windows 10 and the other did'nt?

Reaction score
We purchased two laptops at same time from Dell with the same Processor (intel(R) core(TM)2 Duo T8300 @ 2.40GHz) one updated to windows 10 the other didn't. The error is: THE CPU isn't supported. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
One of my Insider machines is a Core Duo...but not a T8300 and that certainly works with W10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The error is: THE CPU isn't supported.
IF they are identical in every respect as you've indicated and they are or at least both were running the same previous version of Windows, then.....
The problem may have something to do with this.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

As the information in that article suggests, checked the BIOS and make sure that it is enabled on the problem machine. I'm relatively certain that the processor supports 10 if the BIOS is configured properly.
Maybe even compare the BIOS configuration between the two machines and confirm that the exact same settings are available on both.
There may even be a BIOS Update required that may have been performed on one and not the other.

Reaction score
IF they are identical in every respect as you've indicated and they are or at least both were running the same previous version of Windows, then.....
The problem may have something to do with this.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

As the information in that article suggests, checked the BIOS and make sure that it is enabled on the problem machine. I'm relatively certain that the processor supports 10 if the BIOS is configured properly.
Maybe even compare the BIOS configuration between the two machines and confirm that the exact same settings are available on both.
There may even be a BIOS Update required that may have been performed on one and not the other.
I checked both laptops and they have same settings in BIOS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The error is: THE CPU isn't supported
Where exactly are you getting that error? What is producing it.
I assume that, that processor supports a 64 bit installation, so I wouldn't expect a bit version error.
What method are you using to upgrade?
Do you have the ISO? Have you mounted it from within the existing version of Windows and ran setup.exe from there?

Reaction score
Where exactly are you getting that error? What is producing it.
I assume that, that processor supports a 64 bit installation, so I wouldn't expect a bit version error.
What method are you using to upgrade?
Do you have the ISO? Have you mounted it from within the existing version of Windows and ran setup.exe from there?
Yes both laptops are 64 bit. I'm using the windows 10 that Microsoft put my task bar. I thought of buying Windows 10 and installing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What version of Windows is the problem machine currently running?

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have acquired the proper ISO, you should be able to mount the ISO from within Windows 8.1 by simply right clicking it and choosing mount.
That will place another drive in Windows File Explorer.
You should then be able to open that new drive in File Explorer, from within your current version of Windows and run Setup.exe from there to perform the in-place upgrade.

Ask a Question