SOLVED 2 computers with same MS logon

Reaction score
My desktop and notebook share the same logon name and password with the same Microsoft. Should I leave as-is or should they both have different MS accounts? If different is the correct way... how do I separate them?

Reaction score
I have just one logon MS account for two machines. They seem to synch with each other. Change the wallpaper on one and it changes on the other.

At one point they were running different OS. One on production W10 and one on Insider. All worked fine.

Reaction score
My desktop and notebook share the same logon name and password with the same Microsoft. Should I leave as-is or should they both have different MS accounts? If different is the correct way... how do I separate them?
One can actually use the same Microsoft Account on a few computers or devices at the same time. I don't know the exact number possible but use mine on 2 RTM Desktops, 2 Notebooks, 2 tablets and 2 IP Desktops.

Reaction score
I recall that this was a little bit of a joke, a few year ago. Microsoft put it in a neat shell. - 7 or windows 7, 8 for windows 8 and now 10. Lord knows how they decided for Vista. but I might answer my own question. I cannot recall anything regarding the OS itself. Presumably, it would be subjected to the usual rule, ie. You cannot have the OS on more than one computer (Computer meaning Your Msphone, tablet..etc. But the wording was "Devices", however that is interpreted. You can remove devices from your online MS account.
I could stand corrected on this, as it is only a memory of a discussion some years ago.

Reaction score
With the Digital Entitlement/Activation scheme in use now each install of the OS identifies with the specific hardware it is installed on. The Win7 w/SP1 and Win8.1 Product Keys or BIOS information is used for the Digital process but those versions could only be installed on one computer at a time, OEM stayed with the machine it came on but the Retail could be moved to a Replacement computer legally but maybe only once. It once seemed like a convoluted process but in the sense of continuing support for older systems and getting users to move it mostly is working but I think not as fast as Microsoft wants. A big issue is the proprietary software companies have to use is, in most cases, not being upgraded as fast as the OS and that's where the real money is.

Ask a Question