Windows Defender not listed in local group policy

Reaction score
For some reason, my windows defender has been turned off by group policy. I have tried all the usual methods to uncheck the "TURN OFF WINDOWS DEFNDER". Well unfortunately, windows defender is not listed in my local group policy.My system uses a windows 10. I hope someone could tell me how to enlist windows defender in local group policy, so i can enable it again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tesler,

Welcome to the Forum.
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes to the User Account Control prompt
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender"

Press Enter key

Take a look at what results you get.

If you see DisableAntiSpyware listed then type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "DisableAntiSpyware" /f

Press Enter key

Sample image

sample.png

Now close all programs and Restart Computer.

You ought to be able to turn Windows Defender on now.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you applying the line in the regedt "find"?

But, you must not include the " at the front and end - this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

What are you attempting?. It can often be unwise to apply old reg fixes, as paths..etc... may have changed (See the date of the original post)

Reaction score
I didn't see mentioned but do you have a third-party antivirus program installed? They frequently disable Windows Defender.

Reaction score
I have a Third party AV forticlient, i uninstalled it now i can't turn on my real time protection and can't find windows defender on group policy editor. Pls help

Reaction score
i cant find windows defender in Group Policy either pls help I wanna disable it so I can run my injector

Reaction score
Thread is getting a little worn out. Still looks like the last post was the winner though!

Ask a Question