SOLVED Windows Defender on W10 version 1703(creators update)

Reaction score
Hello,
recently, I updated my two laptops to the Creators version 1703 and I noticed that one laptop is running the older previous version of the Window Defender dashboard w/ the green bordering etc while the other computer is running the newer( I assume newer ) dashboard where the key WD functions are displayed horizontally with icons and w/o the green borders. Any thoughts anyone as why this the case and how to rectify it so that the computer operating the older WD dashboard is up to date with the 1703 release? Thanks

Bif

Reaction score
One of the "new features" of Creators update is the new Defender UI..if I'm understanding your question correctly,the only way to achieve the new UI is to upgrade to 1703.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I updated my two laptops to the Creators version 1703
Sounds like the problem machine may need further updates. Maybe check manually and see if there is anything pending or requiring a reboot.
Use winver from the run dialog box to make sure that both machines are running the latest build and version

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble and Bif for your reply. yeah Bif just to clarify, both of my systems have upgraded to the Creators 1703 version and both systems have the same OS build 15063.250. It is odd that one WD dashboard would be different than the other, minor point but annoying nonetheless. But Trouble thanks I'll track down if there is additional reboot; but i would think if the downloaded was an incomplete build that the system would reflect that. thanks guys i appreciate your post.

Reaction score
Hi cyclist,

have you tried running the troubleshooter?:

Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update:

troubleshoot.JPG

Reaction score
Pictures. In the first you should see the version which you should have.
The second is the security centre, to which you referred in your post.

Defender1.PNG

Defender2.PNG

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie and Davehc,
thanks for your reply; Wolfie i did run the troubleshoot in Windows update and although, while running under the administrator, it indicated that it repaired/restore some registry issues and other fixes however, it did not change the Dashboard or the Security Center that davehc shows in his post. The security center platform that davehc shows is exactly the screen I see in my other laptop. And at the risk of being redundant, it is the security center/ dashboard that came with W10 version 1511 or 1603 the Anniversary, that i am seeing on this computer. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I suspect that if there were any virus/ malware threats etc on the older dashboard or the security center prior to the one davehc shows, i would still still be alerted??

Bif

Reaction score
@cyclist, perhaps it will show with time..I can't for the life of me figure why it is still the old Defender UI on a machine that I running 1703, as to get updated to Creators you need to be fully patched and up to date.
Often there simply is no rhyme or reason to Windows woes.. sorry I can't supply a magic fix.

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie and Bif,
thanks again for your posts. Wolfie, i went into the W10 software site and updated and it indicates that the Wio Creator was downloaded and thanks me. Yeah hopefully in time the updates will catch up and rectify the issue. thanks again.

Reaction score
HI @cyclist,

there should be a desktop icon for the Windows updater on your PC now (Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant)
windows 10 upgrade button.JPG
, click on it again and run it and see if you get the following message?. :)

windows update assistant.JPG

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Yes, this is the page that i see when i try update. I went into the Disk Clean up and then to Clean up System files to see which file perhaps i can remove. I know that some files may prevent a complete download. But I understand that after certain period W10 will remove files that are intended to go back if the newest update is not successful, that is ,go back to a previous version. thanks

Ask a Question