Windows Defender

Reaction score
I just swapped out an old bad SSD and put in a Samsung 850 EVO and did a clean install of Windows 10.

Does everyone feel like Windows Defender in 10 does a sufficient AV job?

Reaction score
It's not the best as far as detection rates. It's claim to fame is that it's integrated in to Windows, so it's very easy on system resources. If you practice safe browsing, and supplement it with something like malwarebytes then it's adequate. I personally don't use it.

Reaction score
I just swapped out an old bad SSD and put in a Samsung 850 EVO and did a clean install of Windows 10.

Does everyone feel like Windows Defender in 10 does a sufficient AV job?
I use windows Defender never had any problems with it.
Also i used cc cleaner which is good at cleaning up.
Now i use http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/downloadupdate.php which i have found far better and the free version is very good and a very comprehensive program it also comes with its own malaware. ;)

Reaction score
I use Defender and Malwarebytes. This may be coincidental but All the way from the early Insider program to now and on multiple machines I have never had a problem with bad installs and BSODs which some people using other AV products have had.

Reaction score
Right now I am using Defender, MB, Bitdefender Ransomware, MB Anti-Exploit, and Superantispyware. All except MB is real time, so I think I will stick with Defender and should be safe!! Thanks.

Reaction score
I picked up a 3 PC license for Eset Antivirus for $19 from my local Frys. Studying AV comparisons convinced me to spend a little money to get something that was better than Defender. I also use the free version of Malwarebytes along with Eset Antivirus.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A decent article
http://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wha...r-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/
With some pretty good insights.
I think the take-away should always be
Remember: whatever antivirus you choose, it won’t provide complete protection. If you download and run harmful programs, you’re going to end up in trouble at some point. Good security hygeine is just as important, if not more important, than running antivirus, so don’t use it as an excuse to be irresponsible.

Bif

Reaction score
The best AV, is safe browsing habits and staying away from p2p sites.You can run all the AV programs you want but in the end it's just being smart about where you go and what you click on.
Don't mean to preach but it really is that simple.

Reaction score
The best AV, is safe browsing habits and staying away from p2p sites.You can run all the AV programs you want but in the end it's just being smart about where you go and what you click on.
Don't mean to preach but it really is that simple.
I agree. But, the last two issues I've had with malware came from rogue ads on legit websites. One coming from a google adsense ad (they confirmed they had a rogue ad in their rotation). Even though the AV didn't pick it up (malwarebytes did), I wouldn't go without. Defender is perfectly adequate for that. Nothing's 100%, but using good AV, and being smart about what website you go to is the best way to go, IMO.

Reaction score
I currently use Webroot Secure Anywhere though I have used Windows Defender with Windows 10, and of course it works just fine and as noted above is very light on resources. Additionally as stated above it also isn't a solution for high detection rates, but if you use it with Malware Bytes it mostly mitigates that issue. Having said that I do prefer a better solution like Webroot Anywhere, or ESET having used that in the past as well.

Reaction score
Although I am running Defender and Malwarebytes since installing ten, I've been reading too much about the need to use something more robust. I ended up choosing Bitdefender, as I often look to pcMag reviews when selecting anti-virus application. It rated the best this year. I installed it, licensed it and left it running while I spent a few months away.

When I got back, I was doing some clean up maintenance, found a unused driver I wanted to uninstall, so created a restoration point. The driver did not uninstall properly and when I went to restore my point, it failed saying my antivirus application was blocking it. When I contacted them they advised me to NOT use the restoration tool any more. When I asked if they intended to fix it, I received some canned rhetoric in return.

I get plenty of calls from family and friends where I am able to get them back on their feet using the tool. I rely on it a lot. Anyway, I uninstalled Bitdefender, forfeiting my license money because I went away days after install, and most have a 30 day money back policy.

Now I am looking again. I will have a look at eSet Antivirus, And would like to hear other recommendations as well. Ones that play nice with 10. :=)

Reaction score
Reaction score
Allan I think you will be pleased with Avira and its real time protection.

Reaction score
Norton,

I'll give it a try when I return to my desktop in a weeks time fro now. Thanks again.

Ask a Question