Windows Explorer search function hanging

Reaction score
Bear with me, please, because I don't have the vocabulary yet to state exactly what is happening.

I upgraded from Win 7 and Win 8 on several machines....though I was reasonably happy with Win 7 and Win 8.

After a few months, win explorer started to misbehave on my desktop, but the laptops are not going crazy. If this isn't the right place for this post, please let me know...as if you wouldn't!

In performing editing and relocation of folders, win explorer was slow to update, and deleted folders were still showing. Certain content seems to hang it up, such a video files. Closing and re-starting WE did not fix the issue and sometimes only a reboot would reset things.

The issue seems to be in the search function. If is always indexing and looking for something and the cursor circle is always in action and the hard drive is working like crazy.

More annoying is that a new windows has shown up with tabs across the top for selecting what is to be displayed and how. I cannot simply get back to the good old WE detailed view that I work with. Where did this new window come from?

That's it for now: if you understand what may be happening, please help me with a vocabulary to better describe what is going one and to understand how to "fix" the issues.

Thanks for the forbearance on this post.

Reaction score
In the absence of our illustrious Moderators and the Administrator, I wish you welcome to the forum Luther. In addition , I think you spoke quite fluently regarding your problem. Be patient and one of them or one of the more knowledgeable members will address your problem soon.
Also, this is the proper place for your post.

Reaction score
Bear with me, please, because I don't have the vocabulary yet to state exactly what is happening.

I upgraded from Win 7 and Win 8 on several machines....though I was reasonably happy with Win 7 and Win 8.

After a few months, win explorer started to misbehave on my desktop, but the laptops are not going crazy. If this isn't the right place for this post, please let me know...as if you wouldn't!

In performing editing and relocation of folders, win explorer was slow to update, and deleted folders were still showing. Certain content seems to hang it up, such a video files. Closing and re-starting WE did not fix the issue and sometimes only a reboot would reset things.

The issue seems to be in the search function. If is always indexing and looking for something and the cursor circle is always in action and the hard drive is working like crazy.

More annoying is that a new windows has shown up with tabs across the top for selecting what is to be displayed and how. I cannot simply get back to the good old WE detailed view that I work with. Where did this new window come from?

That's it for now: if you understand what may be happening, please help me with a vocabulary to better describe what is going one and to understand how to "fix" the issues.

Thanks for the forbearance on this post.
I am not sure why no one has addressed your issue but be assured, they will. This post will bump you up to the top of the list.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is the File Explorer "Ribbon" which you can close or open by using the up / down arrow along the top next to the "?" (help) icon.
Details view can still be accomplished for any folder in File Explorer by simply selecting the View tab from along the top and selecting "Details" from the various options.
Additionally you can set that view more globally by selecting the "Options" icon from the "View" tab and clicking "Change folder and search options"
Then in under the "View" tab in the Folder Options dialog box you can use the "Apply to Folders" button to or "Reset Folders" button to make changes.
Try checking the box that says "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and see if that helps with your problem
Certain content seems to hang it up, such a video files.
Certain video files still seem to cause an issue in File Explorer when rendering thumbnails previews and changing to icons will often help.

Reaction score
That is the File Explorer "Ribbon" which you can close or open by using the up / down arrow along the top next to the "?" (help) icon.
Details view can still be accomplished for any folder in File Explorer by simply selecting the View tab from along the top and selecting "Details" from the various options.
Additionally you can set that view more globally by selecting the "Options" icon from the "View" tab and clicking "Change folder and search options"
Then in under the "View" tab in the Folder Options dialog box you can use the "Apply to Folders" button to or "Reset Folders" button to make changes.
Try checking the box that says "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and see if that helps with your problem

Certain video files still seem to cause an issue in File Explorer when rendering thumbnails previews and changing to icons will often help.

Yes, this helps a lot.

Issue got stranger...in a way. For some reason, a major update did not alert me and did not proceed until I was doing something else and needed to reboot....and this long updating message came on. My laptops had gone through this a week or so ago, but the desktop had not...but it has now. Why this story? Because after the update, many of the issues seemed to go away.

Regardless, I tried out your suggestions and I was not aware of the flexibility these suggestions supplied. I will see if the fixes hold over the next few weeks, but it seems as if many of the really annoying issues are cleared up.

Thanks for the response. And for the record, the the tabs for some reason had only allowed me to see the Quick Access and one entry under Desktop. Now I see everything I need. Something had become corrupted but the update straightened that out, apparently.

Ask a Question