Windows Installer Service

Reaction score
I have been experiencing an issue for almost two months.
I keep receiving pop-up message: "Windows Installer preparing to install..."
This problem occurs while performing specific task on computer - WinX shortcut commands: Event Viewer, Device Manager,
Disk Management, Power Shell, Task Manager and File Explorer.
The problem started of happening after update to Windows build 15063.632 and recently in build 16299.19.
When I downgraded from 15063.632 to 14393.1770 the described problem disappeared.
I updated from ver.1703 to 1709 using Microsoft's Media Creator Tool manually.
I ran sfc /scannow process not finding any integration violation issues.
I checked MSIEXEC file which is ver.5.0.16299.19.
Also, I observed through services.msc the properties of Windows Installer service, Startup type=manual, Services status=
running
whenever I exercise WinX shortcut command, as well as in Task Manager I could find a running Windows Installer process.
However, Windows Installer service does not complete after an hour and I would get "Windows Installer server not responding". To interrupt/complete this process I need to end Windows Installer task/process in Task Manager.
In addition, I checked for any PUP's and Adware on my system with Malwarebytes Pro finding nothing seriously.
How to fix that annoying problem ?

Reaction score
They are not running on home network but connected to a network router.
My only concern is why WinX commands are causing that mishap on one PC ?
Windows 7 and Windows 10 ver.1607 did not cause the described problem.

Reaction score
Process of elimination I guess. Try turning off or disconnect the Win 7 machine from the router. Maybe the update is attempting to install on the Win 7 machine.

Reaction score
Try running troubleshooter on the problematic PC.
There is something not right with "I checked MSIEXEC file which is ver.5.0.16299.19"
I updated last week to 10,16299.15 too but my installer shows a different version than yours. My installer shows V 5.0.16299.15; you report V 5.0.16299.19? Is that 19 a typo.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 676
Reaction score
mine shows 16299.15 as well.... both of them ( I have one at 59kb,the other is 64kb with different paths)...

Reaction score
Yes, there was a typo error, the version shall be 5.0.16299.15.
I ran both SFC and DISM tools finding nothing wrong with my Image Version 10.0.162299.19.
Also, I tried Clean Boot State in anticipation that the mishap with WinX shortcuts migtht be caused by 3rd party applications on my computer. No luck with that either. I guess, all those recommended troubleshooters are for
birds...

Reaction score
All,
I narrowed my troubleshooting : WinX Menu with the current list of available shortcut commands that are introduced in Windows OS Buildout 10.0.16299.19 can be found in location c:\Users\User's Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX in three folders Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3.
The shortcut commands can be executed both ways either clicking with left mouse button on Windows button and opening the Start menu or clicking on right mouse button and selecting the shortcuts in Quick Access Menu.
Saying so, I found that my mishap executing following shortcut commands: Event View, Device Manager,Desk Management, Power Shell, Task Manager and File Explorer (Windows Explorer) occurs only when I use the option - right mouse button to Quick Access Menu but if I use - left mouse button and Start Menu everything works fine.
Also, when I browse directly to the folder WinX with those three subfolders, clicking on individual shortcut application, it works as well.
Now my million dollar question to Microsoft engineers...what they screwed up in Windows 10 application WinX
for versions 1703 and 1709 ?

Regards

Ask a Question