Windows Module Installer

Reaction score
Question: What is Windows Modules Installer Worker? and why is it churning away when I'm not using the PC and No updates are being installed. Last update was 4 Oct. Cumulative update KB3194496.

I just noticed lots of HDD activity when my PC should have been idle. Opened Task Manager and found Windows Modules Installer Worker running in the background.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

The Windows Modules Installer you are seeing as a running process is the display name for the TrustedInstaller.exe Service.

This service is what makes the installation or modification and removal of a Windows update possible, or any other optional components you selected; for example Microsoft Office.

You can if you wish disable the service, however doing so may cause an update to fail.

What you could do though is go to your Services and ensure that the Windows Modules Installer service startup type is set to Manual. It only needs to be running when you are doing an actual update.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Regit32 Thanks for the update.
I checked Services > Windows Module Installer. Left as found "Manual" I most likely triggered the its start by checking for updates?
It's the first time I noticed it's activity and it seemed unusual as it was using a fair bit of CPU memory 40-50% when the service started. I won't disable it, as it's there for a reason. The activity just seemed unusual when the HD should have been idle.

Thanks Again!
Norton

Ask a Question