Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?

Reaction score
Having used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)? If the Win10-MediaCreationTool takes the serial while creating the bootable then the answer would be no, but if the serial is only added after the new installation then I would assume it may be used. Or am I wrong?

Reaction score
If you downloaded W10 and made a USB it should work on any machine with the same architecture as it is a full install. The 'serial' as you call it is in fact registering some details about the computer with MS, after installation to activate the OS.

Reaction score
HI Tim Thanks :)
What do you mean as I "call it"? It is called such. I am referring to that number that is found at the bottom of the laptop or on a CD on the Microsoft sticker with a 3d holographic image. And I would think that the "S/N" written before it means 'serial number'. Anyhow, if you weren't sure what I meant, now you do?

Reaction score
These machines came with Windows 10? You didn't say that. If they have had the OS installed and started up they are registered with Microsoft with that serial and the details of the mobo as I said.

So. As I said, if you have made a USB with a fresh W10 on it then it will work on either machine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At the risk of being overly pedantic but in the interest of some clarification.....
IF you are referring to the Five (5) groups of Five (5) alphanumeric characters present on what is commonly referred to as a COA or Certificate Of Authenticity.....
These are generally called the "Product Key" and usually that is indicated next to those characters

COA.gif

Even in the packaging that came with my purchased OEM Windows 10 Pro 64 bit DVD, while the words "Product Key" are not present, there is a "Key" icon adjacent to those numbers.

10 ProductKey.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Tim and thank you Trouble. Yes, I was indeed referring to the "product key" I had forgotten it was called such. I called it serial number because I looked at the bottom of my laptop and all I see is "S/N" hence me calling it such (bought at Walmart). However doing a double-check and looking under my other laptop it actually does have such a sticker ( I wonder if Walmart has anything to do with its laptop not having it).

Anyhow, so it seems I can safely use my USB created via Microsoft on one laptop on the 2nd one as well (since yes, my laptops did come with Windows pre-installed). But perhaps I should add something else. Both laptops had WIndows 8.1 and not Win10. They were upgraded from 8.1 to 10 during the free year. I believe this shouldn't change anything, right?

A slight correction perhaps. One of the laptops (The Dell with the actual sticker at the bottom) was in fact given to me by my employer (the university where I teach) hence I assume that the licenses on it may be a group thing--but I can not say for certain anything precise regarding this.)

Reaction score
As both these laptops were upgraded to W10 during the free year then they are both activated with MS. It is possible that the one given to you was installed with a W10 Pro licence or even a Education licence.

Are you actually planning to reset these machines with your USB copy?

Reaction score
As both these laptops were upgraded to W10 during the free year then they are both activated with MS. It is possible that the one given to you was installed with a W10 Pro licence or even a Education licence.

Are you actually planning to reset these machines with your USB copy?
Yes, I am. My Acer slowed to a trickle after a few installs of other software (so that won't be repeated) and the School's laptop (Dell--I'm in China) I believe came with some dodgy stuff in it. And my re-installation of Win10 via its own self-installation thing didn't really do a clean job.

Reaction score
So Tim Locke, you asked "Are you actually planning to reset these machines with your USB copy?" I assumed you asked because you would have something to add if my answer was yes. Is there something I should know about? Thanks

Ask a Question