SOLVED How do i Disable a single application without Alt + Tabbing

Reaction score
I am a gamer and i love music but, sometimes i need to hear.
is there a way to use a Hot Key to disable an application like chrome without Alt + Tabbing or,
being clicked into the application?
(example: In Dayz, hear a gun shot but music is loud and need to concentrate)
Capture.PNG

remember i need/want a way to mute chrome without having to Alt + Tab to this

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

I'm not aware of a way to do this without coding something yourself - you may be able to use NirCmd (the "muteappvolume" switch) to write a basic batch file that you can execute using windows shortcut hot keys to mute your chosen apps.

It's not a very easy way of doing this, but it would be possible with some basic coding:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

I'm not aware of a way to do this without coding something yourself - you may be able to use NirCmd (the "muteappvolume" switch) to write a basic batch file that you can execute using windows shortcut hot keys to mute your chosen apps.

It's not a very easy way of doing this, but it would be possible with some basic coding:

But i don't know how to code sadly.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which application is it that you'd specifically like to mute (Chrome?)? (As that may be more doable than all, minus DayZ - at least without some interruption).

I'll have a quick look and see how complex it would be and test it out on my PC.

Reaction score
Which application is it that you'd specifically like to mute (Chrome?)? (As that may be more doable than all, minus DayZ - at least without some interruption).

I'll have a quick look and see how complex it would be and test it out on my PC.
yes sir, i would like to mute chrome and thanks very mutch

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You should be able to download nircmd.exe and then create a batch file in the same directory (i.e. MuteChromeToggle.bat) with the following contents:

Code:
muteappvolume chrome.exe 2

Then, create a shortcut to MuteChromeToggle.bat on your desktop, right click it and select Properties > Shortcut and then enter a hotkey for "Shortcut Key" (i.e. CTRL + ALT + A).

Then, whenever you press that keyboard combo you should be able to toggle the volume of Chrome :). That's the closest I can get to your request :).

Reaction score
You should be able to download nircmd.exe and then create a batch file in the same directory (i.e. MuteChromeToggle.bat) with the following contents:

Code:
muteappvolume chrome.exe 2

Then, create a shortcut to MuteChromeToggle.bat on your desktop, right click it and select Properties > Shortcut and then enter a hotkey for "Shortcut Key" (i.e. CTRL + ALT + A).

Then, whenever you press that keyboard combo you should be able to toggle the volume of Chrome :). That's the closest I can get to your request :).
were would i find nircmd.exe?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
See post number 2
I believe Ian included a link in his post there.

Reaction score
OMG. I said it before. I am too old for this now. Why would I need to "mute" (don't get that´) Chrome.

Reaction score
Yep, the link is in post #2 as Trouble mentioned - but here it is again. The download link is at the very bottom of this page "Download NirCmd":

yo thanks for the help dude but i didn't use your method.
Norton said to ask Cortana to mute and it didn't work but i got Pandora from the app store and, all i have to say is "Hey Cortana" then "mute Pandora"
Sorry for the waste of time.

Ask a Question