"Windows Lite".... Anyone??

Reaction score
Maybe they have actually learned something from their mucking about with their own version of Linux?. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Whatever it turns out to be, it is obvious from the article that it is being driven by "new devices", some perhaps not even available yet and maybe even some yet unimagined.

History tells us that whenever Microsoft jumps on that bandwagon, whether it be "music" mp3 "Zune" or Windows for mobile device "Windows Phone" things don't seem to work out well for early adopters and fans.

They seem to be much better at adapting their software offerings to work on other manufacturer's devices.

We'll have to wait and see, but....
I can promise I won't be standing in any early lines to purchase anything with this OS pre-installed or embedded.

Reaction score
Reaction score
LOl. Hopefully, I expected any interested readers would have googled and found the link.! But, (it costs, naturally) if anyone wants to have a quick YouTube look at it, try this:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure how this moved to discussions of cloud based solutions such as azure as the post described Chromebook like devices, but....
Whenever I see anyone or anybody touting the cloud as a practical solution for the average computer user, I cringe.

I know that there have been discussions in the past about turning my computer into basically a dumb-terminal with the OS, software applications and assorted other functions depending on connecting to the cloud.

I respect anyone's opinion with respect to the IoT and the value they might place upon having their refrigerator ordering produce or other food items as they run low, their home thermostat and front door locks controlled and operated by an App through a cloud storage provider.
Personally I'd just as soon handled those things myself as I've done for most of the almost 70 some years I've spent on the planet, so....
Thanks but no thanks.

Reaction score
Not sure how this moved to discussions of cloud based solutions such as azure as the post described Chromebook like devices, but....
Whenever I see anyone or anybody touting the cloud as a practical solution for the average computer user, I cringe.

I know that there have been discussions in the past about turning my computer into basically a dumb-terminal with the OS, software applications and assorted other functions depending on connecting to the cloud.

I respect anyone's opinion with respect to the IoT and the value they might place upon having their refrigerator ordering produce or other food items as they run low, their home thermostat and front door locks controlled and operated by an App through a cloud storage provider.
Personally I'd just as soon handled those things myself as I've done for most of the almost 70 some years I've spent on the planet, so....
Thanks but no thanks.

It’s rather nice being an “old fart”.

Reaction score
It’s rather nice being an “old fart”.
Me, too. Get a few hugs now and then from nice "young" ladies.

As for the comment "Whenever I see anyone or anybody touting the cloud as a practical solution for the average computer user, I cringe", I get the same feeling. There's something in the back of my mind and/or gut that hints at information harvesting by whoever, kinda similar to what the NSA can do.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ahhh….. More fun with IoT devices....
Attacks carried out from Iranian server
"It's targeting any Unix-like system with default login credentials," Cashdollar told us. "The binary I captured targets ARM devices. I noticed it also had a Bash shell version available to download which would target any architecture running a Unix like OS."

This also means Silex will trash Linux servers if they have Telnet ports open and if they're secured with poor or widely-used credentials.

"It appears the IP address that targeted my honeypot is hosted on a VPS server owned by novinvps.com, which is operated out of Iran," Cashdollar said when we inquired about the source of these attacks.

T_J

Reaction score
whether it be "music" mp3 "Zune" or Windows for mobile device "Windows Phone" things don't seem to work out well for early adopters and fans.

Don’t forget MSN Direct (lifetime traffic services, weather data, fuel prices, stock updates, news, movie times, etc.). I bought a new 2008 Garmin Nuvi 780 with MSN Direct, was kind of expensive. Microsoft discontinued MSN Direct service 1/1/2012. I’m no longer a MS early adopter. Lifetime traffic < 3 years.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Windows light ....Only 98 lite for me , in those days had the OS boot in under 30 seconds. Then for fun stripped 98 down to fit on a floppy . Then realized that Millennium was an 98 upgrade so started stripping all the system files out to 98 with a lots of Bat files, never did finish as I went traveling Overseas and by the time I fired up a personal PC again XP had come out..

For Win lite check this out.. https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

Reaction score

Thanks but no thanks.
A very thought provoking post. I have had , for some time, difficulty in coming to terms with the so-called cloud technology. Like Trouble, I prefer to be in charge of my own destiny. With modern trends and frequent enticement into the clouds, at the flick of a switch you can suddenly find yourself paying for it.
I think , as in my case, the risk of an external sdd failure is less likely that attack on my cloud storage.

Reaction score
A very thought provoking post. I have had , for some time, difficulty in coming to terms with the so-called cloud technology. Like Trouble, I prefer to be in charge of my own destiny. With modern trends and frequent enticement into the clouds, at the flick of a switch you can suddenly find yourself paying for it.
I think , as in my case, the risk of an external sdd failure is less likely that attack on my cloud storage.
I have to be in full agreement with this.

Ask a Question