Toshiba Satelite Pro Touchpad not working after Windows 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
Had a customer present their laptop for repair following Windows 10 upgrade, so wanted to post the solution here.

The device, a Toshiba Satelite Pro Touchpad had an issue where it appeared to hang on startup following upgrade to Windows 10. Investigation revealed that the issue was actually the Touchpad was becoming disabled due to a problem with the ELAN driver that Windows 10 had installed. I wound the driver back and everything was fine, then Windows 10 decided it had a better version of the driver and installed the bad one again. Solution was to wind back the driver again from 15.8.x.x to 13.8.x.x and disable automatic update of drivers to stop it being replaced again.

Clearly it is not ideal to disable the driver update capability, however if there are not sufficient checks and balances to ensure that the right driver is being installed it is going to create more problems that it is worth.

Microsoft Suggestion: It may be an idea to allow disabling driver update for individual driver basis.

Reaction score
Had a customer present their laptop for repair following Windows 10 upgrade, so wanted to post the solution here.

The device, a Toshiba Satelite Pro Touchpad had an issue where it appeared to hang on startup following upgrade to Windows 10. Investigation revealed that the issue was actually the Touchpad was becoming disabled due to a problem with the ELAN driver that Windows 10 had installed. I wound the driver back and everything was fine, then Windows 10 decided it had a better version of the driver and installed the bad one again. Solution was to wind back the driver again from 15.8.x.x to 13.8.x.x and disable automatic update of drivers to stop it being replaced again.

Clearly it is not ideal to disable the driver update capability, however if there are not sufficient checks and balances to ensure that the right driver is being installed it is going to create more problems that it is worth.

Microsoft Suggestion: It may be an idea to allow disabling driver update for individual driver basis.
some times, locate the driver then DELETE it do not disable, delete then reboot and let MS install a default driver.
then if still not good, go to the manufactre site DL the latest driver from them and install it...
and do remember that MS likes to use its drivers, and it is OK to disable if the MS drivers cause issues.
My Brother Drivers work fine, then is MS updates it goes bonkers, so i simply restore back or overinstall again.

Ask a Question