SOLVED No option in Toshiba BIOS for UEFI to CMS.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My name is George and I just registered here. I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me out with. A client of mine has forgotten the password to log into her Toshiba Satellite CL15-C1310 Windows 10 laptop. Should be no problem, boot to Hiren's CD, clear the password and good to go. I was wrong.

I go into the BIOS, disable Secure Boot but there is no setting in the BIOS to disable UEFI. Nothing at all. Now the machine will try to boot from the CD in the external drive. It tries and the access light on the drive flashes as it is being read and then it starts boot from the hard drive. The CD is good as it works on other machines. So I try to make a bootable flash drive and run Hiren's off of it. Same thing. It will access the drive, read from it and then boot right into Windows.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know that the UEFI needs to be disabled but I don't see any way to do it. Thank you all for the time. Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi GeoGoGo,

Welcome to the forum.

Pretty sure Toshiba UEFI settings are accessed via Advanced Boot settings rather than the BIOS nowadays.

Here's a video for Toshiba with Windows 8 OEM installations. I imagine the same principle will work with your Windows 10 OEM too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Trouble, thank you for the info. I have tried creating the USB flash drive with the link you provided and no luck. It access the flash drive for a few seconds and then moves onto the hard drive.

Regedit32, when I go into the BIOS and Advanced settings, there is no option to access the UEFI options. I cannot get into the machine to change the setting from Windows. Thank you for the help, though!

Respectfully,
George D.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect that Secure Boot is still causing your issue for booting HIrens.
I'm thinking that it is not signed and therefore is not going to boot.
Secure Boot is a feature included on UEFI-based computers running Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 and later. It provides a measure of security previously unavailable by ensuring that only trusted software components, signed by Microsoft or the computer manufacturer (OEM), are used during the boot process.
SOURCE: http://www.belarc.com/secureboot.html

You might try booting from the installation media after creating your USB Installation, again using Rufus and
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Using the section labeled "Use the tool to create installation media.
THEN....
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

IT's a bit of a pain, but it works, I've done it and was able to enable the hidden Admin account and use that to sort the other user password issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Trouble! That worked perfectly. While cumbersome it worked as advertised. I really appreciate the help.

Thank you all for the time! Have a great day!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep... it is a bit cumbersome and not your super-duper / one-click remedy, but....
It does work and it is free.

Reaction score
had the exact issue, this was the SOLUTION: boot windows os directly on the hard drive using Rufus softaware and a Hard Drive Enclosure, check 'list USB hard drives' on rufus, change partition scheme to 'MBR', target system 'bios or wefi csm'. and start boot installation. after the process has finished put the hard drive back to laptop and then boot laptop directly with hard drive, it will send you to windows installation without errors. ps. i also had an issue before this I couldn't access bios at all so I removed battery from laptop and restarted, this fixed the issue

Reaction score
had the exact issue, this was the SOLUTION: boot windows os directly on the hard drive using Rufus softaware and a Hard Drive Enclosure, check 'list USB hard drives' on rufus, change partition scheme to 'MBR', target system 'bios or wefi csm'. and start boot installation. after the process has finished put the hard drive back to laptop and then boot laptop directly with hard drive, it will send you to windows installation without errors. ps. i also had an issue before this I couldn't access bios at all so I removed battery from laptop and restarted, this fixed the issue
You are genius and above all COOL !!

Reaction score
unfortunately, didn't work with my toshiba notebook :( :(

Ask a Question