SOLVED Windows Local Search

Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro. With no internet connection and signed into my local or Administrator account, I'm unable to use the search dialog box to search Apps, files, or settings. Search function doesn't work unless connected to the internet.
Is there a work around? Why would MS disallow a stand alone local search.

Reaction score
Cortana operates through Microsoft's servers, particularly with voice. All the search processing is done in the cloud and local.

If you really want a third party program, which can search locally, and a lot more efficiently than Cortana, try this one:

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Reaction score
Wolfie/Dave Thanks! I may have to live with the inconvenience, its just another bug that irritates me. I'm really not interested in downloading a third party program. There is always Explorer if you know what you are looking for. LOL

Reaction score
Jay B. Thanks! The reason I disconnected is because I had an Admin log IN problem and windows was about to download updates. I wanted to prevent the down load process until I corrected the problem with the Admin account.

Reaction score
With Windows Creator 1703 the local windows search isn't dependent on an internet connection, search works fine with no internet connection.

Ask a Question