Windows ME

Reaction score
I am trying to load Windows ME on a laptop that I was not using just for fun BUT every time it tries to setup it says that I have no dvd present. Funny because it loads Win 7 or Win 10 just fine. Do you have any suggestions ?

Reaction score
The only time I had an issue with installing Windows from a disc was when using a branded disc in a different brand computer, e.g. an HP disc in a Gateway or Dell in an HP, etc. Seems there was coding in a branded disc to prevent that. Could also be an issue with recognizing only certain drives.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I am trying to load Windows ME on a laptop that I was not using just for fun BUT every time it tries to setup it says that I have no dvd present. Funny because it loads Win 7 or Win 10 just fine. Do you have any suggestions ?
Where did you get the Me install media from? I not sure if you can even find an ISO for it any more.

Reaction score
You are right ME iso's are hard to find if not impossible. Way back when; I purchased ME (big mistake) it was terrible. Years later I was clearing out out cd's and rather than throwing it out I made a DVD of it.

Reaction score
Windows ME is like all the other Win9x based on DOS and has therefore a lot of restrictions in regard of memory and CPU speed. I have tried to install it on a old PC with a 2.4Ghz AMD CPU and used the least amount of memory I had (512MB) and it failed miserable due the the memory management. I used to have an old HP Desktop that would have worked maybe but I could not get another CPU for this main board (the old one gave out) ...
I have never tried it again, although I have purchased version of all Windows 9x...

Reaction score
You my need an old windows 95/98 boot floppy to recognize the dvd rom. Of course you'd need a floppy drive to do that. I can't remember where I got an iso from, but I had one when I ran ME in a Virtual Machine a few years ago. But like Grizzly said, there are CPU and memory restrictions for 9.x versions of Windows. I had to set up the VM with a single core of my CPU and 512 MB of ram. But even then I needed a workaround to get at least 256 colors to display. I ended up piecing together an old Pentium 3 machine out of old parts I had, and a generous donation of a slot 1 motherboard from a friend.

Reaction score
As I recall with Win9x one had to add a file to a boot floppy and adjust the config.sys and autoexec.bat file to get support for a CD drive. I could dig out one of those floppies to check.

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you could provide us with the exact model laptop you're trying to install ME on. As Grizzly pointed out, 95/98/ME won't install on newer hardware due to memory limitations.

Ask a Question