Windows not verifying Microsoft Account bug?

Reaction score
So I installed Windows 10 a few days ago from upgrading Windows 8. For the most part, everything is fine except that it will not verify my Microsoft account. So Cortana will not activate and I keep getting the notification to verify my account. When I try to verify my account with Cortana it accepts my login but takes me to a page saying something like "Oops we could not verify your account right now, it's probably our fault. Try again later.". When I try and verify through the user accounts control panel it accepts my login info but just closes the box and never does anything. I've tried dozens of times and messed with dozens of settings and can not figure out why it won't connect to my Microsoft account. This is a valid Windows 10 professional installation that has been activated. I even had Microsoft tech support remote in for an hour and they couldn't figure it out either! Seems like some kind of bug preventing the user account from connecting to the internet to verify. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
SOLVED:

After hours of trying to figure out a remedy for this I finally gave in and wiped the drive clean, installed a fresh copy of Windows 8 and then upgraded to a fresh install of Windows 10. I'm happy to say that it now verified my account correctly and appears to have completely resolved the issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good work and thanks for keeping us apprised of your ongoing issue.
Nice to hear that you finally managed to resolve your issue.
AND...... welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question