Windows search, indexing, and update not working

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been experiencing several issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 PC. Each time I try to use the search feature, not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically suspended and this message is displayed: This UWP process group is suspending processes to improve system performance.

I've also come across some strange behavior concerning the Windows.edb file and its related indexing files located in the directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows. Initially, everything seemed normal with all the expected folders and files in place. However, they started disappearing one by one, leaving only the Projects folder, until eventually, all the contents vanished entirely.

After repeatedly opening the 'Windows' folder, the contents would eventually reappear, including the .edb file, even if I had deleted it before. When I tried deleting the Windows.edb file as part of troubleshooting the indexing issues, it appeared to have no effect, and the erratic file behavior persisted.

Here's how I attempted to fix the issue: I restarted my PC, I checked the Windows Search service dependencies to ensure they were running properly, I ran the built-in Windows Troubleshooters for both Search and Indexing, as well as for Windows Update, I conducted a system file check using sfc /scannow and followed up with the DISM tool using DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. I tried to rebuild the search index from the Control Panel's Indexing Options and deleted, then rebuilt, the Windows.edb file. I made sure that my Windows system was fully updated with the latest patches. Next, I attempted a repair upgrade using the Windows Media Creation Tool and the Windows 10 ISO, but unfortunately, it didn't resolve the search issue. Additionally, I investigated potential issues with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) by setting it to Automatic and starting it, but it reverted back to Manual and wouldn't run. Finally, I checked the Registry Editor and confirmed that the BITS start type was set to 3 (Manual), observing that it always reset to this value after any modification.

Do you have any other ideas? Thank you in advance.

Ask a Question