Windows Settings App Freezes An d then Crashes / Search Box Inoperable

Reaction score
It appears Windows Settings issues are really devastating to the Windows 10 OS. It is extremely important to core functionality! It disables key access to being able to correct the issue, ie system restore, etc. The search box is also impacted and I can't even type in the search box or trigger the search box pop up dialog screen. Not sure this is related to the Settings app issues. Things like this typically happen during an an update. I don't ever remember having core problems like this with the previous OS versions. There were some hiccups, but the issues were easier to resolve. Some were a little harder. If there is a power shell script to solve this issue, I would think it would be available through Microsoft to avoid trial and error!

A second issue may be a virus. I use Windows Defender, but looks like I need to install a better commercial virus app.

I would like to do a system restore. Is there a back door, that doesn't require using Windows Settings?

I may end up calling Microsoft support. If they have to log on to my computer to fix it, something is a miss here.

Until recently, the Windows 10 updates were pretty seamless. Except for peer to peer networking. Although, now I am using One Drive as a common repository.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Alright try this but this may not work open start menu and right click on settings and go to more options and then click app settings. If that fixes settings app problems then navigate to start>settings>update and security>troubleshoot>additional troubleshooters>Windows search>run trouble shooter.
If you cant get settings app to open to run that trouble shooter then you could it from control panel but you need search to do it so right click on start and select windows PowerShell (admin) then type the following in the PowerShell window: sfc /scannow
Then type (after command finishes) the following: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
That should fix the problems then restart your computer and try opening settings to do the previously mentioned troubleshooters for search.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-03 124225.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-03 124225.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 26

Ask a Question