Windows shutting down computer instead of sleeping

Reaction score
We have a Dell desktop computer. Windows decided to update itself the other day - we did not voluntarily update - and ever since then, every time it's supposed to go to sleep it actually shuts down. Which means we lose all the open files and have to go through a slow restart instead of just waking it up. It's incredibly annoying. I checked the settings and they're fine. Another forum for laptop users had a lot of instructions about BIOS which I don't understand. If someone can tell me how to fix this in language that a non-tech person can understand, that would be great.

Reaction score
Same situation for me. I had been able to fix it before the upgrade, but now it's back.

Reaction score
FIXED THE LITTLE BEGGAR!
I have had this problem for several weeks on a Dell XPS desktop. What was particularly annoying was that I have a second older desktop computer running Windows 10, which I use at the same time as the Dell. This second computer was running without problems and since it has had the same windows updates as the Dell, that seemed to rule updates out as the culprit. I tried faffing around with power settings which of course made no difference, nor did flashing the bios. I was looking at Task Manager about an unrelated matter and clicked on the Services tab. There, sitting almost at the top of the list, was an entry called "Adaptive Sleep Service". Ahaa thinks I, could this be it! At the bottom of the services tab I clicked on "Open Services" (you will need to be logged on as Administrator) and the "Services (local)" list opened. I noted that the description was AMD Adaptive Sleep Service which meant it was to do with my video card. I right clicked on Adaptive Sleep Service, clicked on Properties, hit the drop down box for startup type and selected "Disabled". Voila - fixed - no more shutting down when sleeping!

Hope this might help others

Reaction score
Do you happen to know if there is an Intel version of this service? Nothing pops out at me in my services list. My personal laptop has started doing this shut down while sleeping thing and I've been battling with an answer for weeks. So far NOTHING has worked and it is SO SO frustrating!

Ask a Question