Windows stuck on blue screen

Reaction score
Hi all, it's my first post here so apologies if I've done something wrong.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 580, that originally shipped with Windows 7. I upgraded it to Windows 10 many years ago.

Two days ago, I had an issue with my PC, and now it won't boot up. When I try to turn it on normally, the windows logo comes up with the white loading circle, after which the windows logo will disappear and only the white loading circle remains. This will happen for a very long time and then eventually it just goes to a black screen with a cursor.

I now am trying to install a fresh windows 10 on the PC by using the bootable image I created using Windows recovery tool on another laptop on a USB.

When I press F12 and boot via the USB, the windows logo and white loading circle comes, after which it just loads a blue screen and a cursor.

I've read a few articles, but I'm not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
On an old PC, very possible that the HD has failed.

Remove it, replace with a new HD, then proceed with the re-install.

Reaction score
I tend to agree with my previous poster. If you are at it, why not get a SSD drive. This will give any old PC a tremendous boost in startup time as well as general faster responses. I have an old PC and several old laptops. replacing the HDD with a SSD kind of rejuvenated my computers (they are all 13 years and older).

Ask a Question