Windows stuck in "Attempting repair" boot up screen

Reaction score
Today I moved my desktop PC to a different house. I don't have ethernet access there so I used a wifi USB adapter. I installed the drivers, it connected well but after a few minutes it disconnected, so I restarted the computer. It didn't connect to the wifi either, so I restarted it again. This time the Asus BIOS screen showed up, but instead of going away quickly like always it stayed there, not sure why. I didn't know what to do there, so I restarted it again (from the button), that's probably where I messed up.

This time, after the brief BIOS screen, a black screen with the Windows logo appeared, first with a "preparing automatic repair" message, then "diagnosing your PC" and then "attempting repair"... and it's stuck there. Maybe those aren't the correct translations sinct it's in Spanish but that's what it says more or less. I've tried waiting for hours (nothing happens, it stays in that screen loading), and restarting my computer from the button, the same screen appears. Both with the wifi adapter and without it, probably it doesn't matter but I had to try.

I've searched this message and looks like when this screen appears it can be lots of different reasons with many different solutions, so hopefully with what I've told you someone could help me choose the best one and what to do. Maybe what caused this is when I restarted the computer when the BIOS appeared and stayed there? (but also why did that happen on the first place??) Or less probable but it could have something to do with the usb wifi adapter, or its drivers or something? Or the wifi connection not working?

This is the BIOS screen that appears (it always appears, this is nothing new, but that's where it got stuck the first time so I rebooted):
IMG_20200619_202541_1.jpg

Should I press something here? It still appears.

I have lots of stressful things going on right now and this is the last thing I needed... so if someone could help me I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I've managed to find an ethernet connection to see if it's a problem of the wifi adapter or derived from that, but the problem is still there so looks like that doesn't affect it. I've also disconnected every peripheric besides the keyboard and the display, and nothing changes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't edit my post so I'm going to reply, I've checked the BIOS and the date and time are set correctly, as well as the hard drives. I've also checked that nothing has moved or disconnected on the inside of the computer. The motherboard is 5 years old and I've never changed its battery (looks like that could be an issue?)

Reaction score
Hi Luis,

did you try resetting BIOS?. Do you have a bootable version of Linux at home so you can test the system and see if any hardware is failing?. CMOS battery should last about ten years and you can replace it if you want!. :)

Do you have a bootable version of Windows 10 and have you tried "Advanced StartupOptions"?. read from "If you can't boot Windows 10"

Reaction score
Hi Luis,

did you try resetting BIOS?. Do you have a bootable version of Linux at home so you can test the system and see if any hardware is failing?. CMOS battery should last about ten years and you can replace it if you want!. :)

Do you have a bootable version of Windows 10 and have you tried "Advanced StartupOptions"?. read from "If you can't boot Windows 10"

Hi, I haven't tried resetting the BIOS, that means resetting it to its initial values and options right?

Also no, I don't have any bootable version of Linux or Windows 10... I guess that means I should make a W10 one, could I solve this problem by going to Advanced Startup Options? What can I do once I arrive there?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
resetting the BIOS, that means resetting it to its initial values and options right?
Hi Luis,

yes!, a reset of BIOS will lead to default settings if you made any changes in there. Make a note of any changes you made (if any) and you can apply them again once the system is up and running!.

Yes!, create a bootable copy of Windows (and Linux if you know your way around) and boot from the USB stick/DVD and go into "Advanced Startup Options" as posted above. :)

Reaction score
It's a very late reply (I know) but I've tried a few things:

Tried resetting the BIOS, it doesn't solve the problem. Went to Advanced Startup Options with a bootable USB and tried to use System Restore, but I didn't have any restore points. Also tried to uninstall the lastest updates from there (both quality and features updates) but it doesn't work because "there's a problem uninstalling"

I saw that running this command should help:
bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No
AFAIK it disables the automatic startup repair that's causing the loop. I ran the command successfully and rebooted but now this blue screen appears: (in Spanish)
IMG_20200724_131323.jpg

Translation:
"Recovery
The system needs recovery
The operating system couldn't be loaded because it can't find a critical system driver or it's damaged.
File: \Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
Error code: 0xc0000102
Choose one of the following options to adress this issue:

Press ESC for recovery
Press ENTER to try again
Press F8 for startup configuration"

What should I do now?

Reaction score
Hi Luis,

the following should help you? (read it carefully please!). :)

Ask a Question