Windows updates affect A/V playback

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8930 that came with Win 10 preinstalled. The Dell 'Support Assist' feature I can tolerate but the Microsoft auto-update I could do without. My problem is every time Windows updates I loose my sound (Audio Engine 2+), and the video playback slows to one frame per sec. All my drivers are up to date, etc. The Win troubleshooter won't help. Sometimes the problem will self correct over time, but as a result I have no A/V most the time. I just cannot imagine I am the only one with this issue. This is a huge problem for me. Any thoughts? Thanks and please respond if you will.

Reaction score
"Speakers" (Realtek PC sound) must be set as default audio playback device to have sound at the rear "line out" (speaker) jack.

If you are using HDMI for your monitor, Windows automatically switches the sound playback to HDMI and you will have to manually switch to "Speakers". One workaround is disable the HDMI sound in the Device Manager (Intel sound or if you have an optional video card the video card's sound).

Many times after an Update the Default Speakes are changed , Please check that , if still the problem presist, Do let us know if you are on 1903 or 1809 on Windows Update

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8930 that came with Win 10 preinstalled. The Dell 'Support Assist' feature I can tolerate but the Microsoft auto-update I could do without. My problem is every time Windows updates I loose my sound (Audio Engine 2+), and the video playback slows to one frame per sec. All my drivers are up to date, etc. The Win troubleshooter won't help. Sometimes the problem will self correct over time, but as a result I have no A/V most the time. I just cannot imagine I am the only one with this issue. This is a huge problem for me. Any thoughts? Thanks and please respond if you will.
I have also a Dell XPS420. I have disabled the windows 10 updates because it would mess up my system.

Ask a Question