SOLVED Windows Updates/Defender

Reaction score
This is just a general question I have re- Windows Updates. I thought it best to ask in this forum rather than the General Forum.

Q: MS Defender has a recently added a new feature called "File Protection"
With this feature turned ON, is it possible that "File Protection" could effect Windows Updates from accessing certain O/S files and creating update errors by way of incomplete installs. I know that "File Protection" can be turned OFF, that's fine, if we knew when updates were arriving and installing.
Looking for your opinions.
Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

The new File Protection option is designed to prevent malicious Scripts, Executable or Assembly [ Dll files ] from taking over your personal files and the apps. For example it will help prevent ransomware from locking you out of your files.

It uses a Definition list built into Defender to prevent known malicious files, and also unknown files from infecting your folder files.

Thus, it will not prevent updates from accessing a file as these are a known and theoretically safe files. I say theoretically, as we all know, sometimes updates mess things up.

Reaction score
Regit Thanks for the update, it's nice to have a second opinion. The reason I ask is because when I activated File Protection, I had to add AV programs to the list (CCleaner Malwarebytes..) as File Protection blocked their update process. I have my personal files and the above mentioned AV program files added to the list also.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm surprised the hash for CCleaner and Malewarebytes is not in Microsoft's known safe executables.

Hopefully, others using third party security software can add to this thread so we can come up with a list of applications that need to be adjusted so as to work as wanted along with File Protection.

Reaction score
In addition to the default folders C:\users data folders, I added Malwarebytes, CCleaner.
I certainly don't want those programs altered by malware.

Ask a Question