Windows Updates Keeps trying to install software updates I don't have!

Reaction score
Hello, I am completely baffled to this problem. Windows wants to update software I don't have. Perhaps, others have the same problem the software in question is HP-Printers-HP Deskjet 2540 series.

In the Windows Update, they say software Updates are available however, I do not have this software installed on my computer.

"We need to start a separate installation to complete this update. Select Install to start it. If you don't see the install window, minimize this window, or check the taskbar."

How can I permanently get rid of this update notification

Thanks in advance.

Paul Wylie

Reaction score
I'm having a similar but much more annoying problem. I uninstalled Office 2010 last year and upgraded to Office 365. Windows is trying but failing to install updates for Office 2010. In fact there are no less than 100 updates listed in the update history that Windows seems to try to install repeatedly. I am assuming they are failing because I don't have Office 2010 installed. As Paul above is asking...How do I get rid of all these notices and stop the attempts to install these updates?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi John, and also Ptwylie.

Welcome to the Forum.

Microsoft released a tool for Preview users but this will work with Windows 10 pre and post Anniversary Updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Go there, download the tool - you will then be able to hide unwanted updates.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is this notice coming from Windows Update or from other utility which is still checking for HP updates? If it is Windows Update you can hide updates, as mentioned, but check the Programs and Features in the Control panel to see if any HP software is installed. I also seem to remember something about a Web utility which HPs would install.

Do you have access to the printer mentioned?

I think its funny Win 10 keeps telling me my Office 2013 is old and I need a new version. But this comes from the notification section which I can turn off using the Settings - App Notifications options.

Reaction score
Hi John, and also Ptwylie.

Welcome to the Forum.

Microsoft released a tool for Preview users but this will work with Windows 10 pre and post Anniversary Updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Go there, download the tool - you will then be able to hide unwanted updates.

Regards,

Regedit32

Thanks, Regedit32. This utility could prove to be handy. However, I did some more digging on the internet and found an article about removing all traces of Office 2010. It turned out I still had remnants of Office 2010 on my system including in my registry. I followed the instructions to remove all traces from my PC. Now the updates have disappeared from the Update status. The history still shows that the attempts to install them failed, but now it is not trying to install them any more.

Thanks again. I think the Hide Updates utility will be useful in the future.

John

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi John,

Nice detective work there :)

I forgot about the fact some uninstallers fail to clear remnants from the System.

The Anniversary Update for some unearthed all kinds of older apps they once used, and that is probably why.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question