Windows10 10074 on Surface Pro3 - Random logon password failures

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I'm running Windows10 on a Surface Pro3. Ever since the 10074 update I'm getting random logon password failures when I startup in the morning.

The primary account I use is an outlook.com live account. If I bootup and try and logon straight away it says incorrect password. But if I wait about 5min then try to logon it works.

I also have a few local admin accounts and they will not let me logon at all! Even if I wait more than 5min after startup.

I've tried:
- Resetting the passwords.
- Creating a new user account. Can't log on at all with that.
- Disabling the internet prior to logon.
- Changing the keyboard to a USB keyboard or onscreen.
- Reset the language and keyboard layout to US in case the key mapping was an issue.
- Making sure all the latest updates are on.
- Disabling password policies in "Local security policy" manager.

Has anyone else noticed this issue since the latest 10074 update and figured out a resolution? Or is my install corrupted?

Kind Regards
Jimmy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I don't have a Surface Pro 3 but if it's any consolation it seems that you may not be alone.
If you take a look at this article (2 pages) it would seem that it may have something to do with the time it takes while "syncing with the authentication system" (whatever that may mean) and possibly an issue with your settings with respect to your date, time and or time zone. Have a look at that setting in particular since a lot of issues with Windows 10 seem to be associated with some discrepancy with the system time, system calendar and or system time zone.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...password/28543a67-7a60-4f4d-bd70-aeabd50d7159

Reaction score
Hey Trouble, many thanks for your reply.
I'll check the time settings and see if that resolves the issue. I also posted in the Windows10 Insider Program Community and they went straight to suggesting a re-image of Windows10 ha. :)

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might have to live with the bugs until they're all fixed (or go back to Windows 8.1).

Once question though, do you know if you will be able to upgrade to the official release of Windows10 from the preview builds when it finally comes out later this year?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
able to upgrade to the official release of Windows10 from the preview builds
I don't believe so.
I suspect that you will need a valid Windows 7 or 8.1 product key in order to update / upgrade to the final release.
There has been a lot of discussion about how we "Insiders" might be impacted but I'm pretty sure they're gonna stick with the above upgrade path.

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/597779080591908864

Ask a Question