Windows10 system apps

Reaction score
Well I just uninstalled / "downgraded" windows 10 back to 7 for the second time. I had hopes after the anniversary update that perhaps windows 10 would be more accommodating and respect end users preferences.

Can someone please tell me if there is now, or there are plans for having in the future, a way users can disable / remove Cortana and Edge. and other system apps they chose not to have.
I am asking about a real way that works and prevents these system apps from loading at start up and using system resources.

There needs to be a way that works and is supported by Microsoft!

I looked extensively and found much on this subject, It seems that there are hundreds of thousands of end users that wish to have administrator abilities that actually work, and to be able to chose what applications are running as we have been able to in the past.
There are so many rubbish "fixes" for this issue it seems, none of which prevent these applications from either loading or running.
Please will some super techie or MS rep please post some real answers or solutions here?

Reaction score
I just turn off the live titles and unpin from the start menu. Then I customize the start menu to my liking, the only pinned app than is turned ON is the local weather.

Reaction score
I just turn off the live titles and unpin from the start menu. Then I customize the start menu to my liking, the only pinned app than is turned ON is the local weather.
Hi Norton
Ty for reply.
Unfortunately your suggestion does not address my question, I know already there is a way to both "hide" Cortana from view and to make another browser default and not use Edge. (here the issue is effectively cortana is "run" and will use edge regardless of what your preference for browser is)
Please allow me to clarify: Regardless of how you go about "bypassing" the system apps in windows 10 they will still load at startup and run in the background consuming CPU, memory and internet bandwidth.
Even if you use another browser both are churning away in the background consuming stupid quantities of resources having not been at all utilized by you.
Clearly something is utilizing these applications as can be verified with system configuration and task manager.
What is "MISSING" is a way for end users to determine for themselves what applications load at startup and utilize bandwidth and system resources as we have been able to do in the past.
I posted here EDGE about this also.

Reaction score
Cassidy I agree!
My monthly bandwidth has doubled since I switched from Win 7 to 10. The apps and downloads are bandwidth killers. I have a monthly (Bell) Fibe 10 data plan of 25GB With the anniversary update I was at 21GB this morning with 15 days left. I wont make it and it's vey expensive when you go over the plan limit.
Thanks Microsoft my monthly data plan has doubled+ and is currently rising faster than my utility rates.

Reaction score
Someone else will know better than I do but don't you get more control over updates by upgrading to the pro version? You can get rid of most of the telemetry and I am pretty sure that you can turn Cortana off 99% and just leave it as a search engine interface...and I quite agree that it should be possible to turn it off completely.
There is a registry value I've read that will do that but I don't remember where I saw it.

Against that, IIRC MS has run the html rendering engine continually on the PCs since Windows NT/2000.

Norton, a friend of mine is on one of the Bell over the cell system internet plans and he found that getting his 25Gb limit permanently upto 100 GB was cheaper than overrunning the limit

Reaction score
Someone else will know better than I do but don't you get more control over updates by upgrading to the pro version? You can get rid of most of the telemetry and I am pretty sure that you can turn Cortana off 99% and just leave it as a search engine interface...and I quite agree that it should be possible to turn it off completely.
There is a registry value I've read that will do that but I don't remember where I saw it.

Against that, IIRC MS has run the html rendering engine continually on the PCs since Windows NT/2000.

Norton, a friend of mine is on one of the Bell over the cell system internet plans and he found that getting his 25Gb limit permanently upto 100 GB was cheaper than overrunning the limit

You really should have a peek at memory and processes Tim. You will find that Cortana is using the exact amount of bandwidth, memory and CPU when its "99% off" as it does when it is "100% on" same can be said of Edge.
What's worse is both are using resources at those rates constantly, all of the time, even though "you" (the user) is not using either application.
As far as "You can get rid of most of the telemetry" the truth is in windows 10 you can actually not. I refer you to: http://www.howtogeek.com/264273/one-year-later-did-microsoft-listen-to-windows-10-complaints/

~"There is a registry value I've read"~ The trouble with all of the existing "removers" you may find if you do a search for "how to remove" ~various system apps~ windows 10, is that none of them seem to actually work , windows will repair/ reinstall the affected applications either immediately or when it updates.
The real trouble is that none of these are supported by Microsoft.
This should not be at all acceptable, why for the love of god is there not the option to disable these system apps from loading at startup?.

I am grateful for the folks that made suggestions on this thread but I am still looking for "Please will some super techie or MS rep please post some real answers or solutions here?"

Reaction score

Tim I've had calls and email offers to upgrade but currently refuse to do so, it's a matter of principles. But I do have other options. I'm writing this post on my Acer Notebook XP until the end of the month. LOL

Ask a Question