EDGE

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that EDGE uses a large amount of CPU memory, so when I make IE my default browser I cannot open attachments. Shows a screen to "Locate Link Browser" WTF???

Reaction score
I just opened Edge and played a video and it uses a lot less resource than Chrome.

Reaction score
I havnt tried a video, but, opening three browsers on this site, this is what I see- I had to snip further down, for the second picture, as Chrome places more resource there.

Use1.PNG

use2.PNG

Bif

Reaction score
Food for thought for reasons unknown, but Firefox which is generally a CPU hog now takes less resources with the new build.. either by accident or design...

Reaction score
Wow You guy's have opened my eyes re- browsers hogging resources. Here is Edge and Firefox running the same home page. So hard to believe that what I see is true. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Task mgr.PNG
    Task mgr.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 521

Bif

Reaction score
Wow!!..my Firefox is running at 35MB... perhaps there is extensions chewing up your CPU..I've never had FF consume that amount of resources..

Reaction score
All I have is Adblock, I just disabled ABP the difference in memory is negligible, I think I'll be using Edge and not fuss over tracking, most of which are not a threat just like cookies.

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that EDGE uses a large amount of CPU memory, so when I make IE my default browser I cannot open attachments. Shows a screen to "Locate Link Browser" WTF???

Well like most things when you get on the internet and ask a question you get replies about all kinds of stuff.
Here is what my experience is and why I twice now have gone back to windows 7 after attempting to use 10.
We have no say or preference regarding the resource consuming system apps in 10.
no matter what you do or chose to use, cortana and edge will run in the background using insane amounts of memory and processor even though they are neither accessed by you or being utilized by you (something is clearly utilizing them)
Just the fact that there is no way to disable system apps and prevent them from loading at startup is ridiculous and offensive.
unfortunately with windows 10 it seems even though you may chose not to use Cortana and chose to use another browser and home page both Cortana and Edge will churn away in the background and consume a stupid amount of resources including internet bandwidth.
I happen to live in a very remote location and have limited bandwidth metered internet, I simply must have control over applications use of my limited resources, something it seems that is not possible with windows 10.

Reaction score
Cassidy How true. My bandwidth monthly usage has doubled since using Windows 10. My monthly(Bell) plan is 250 GB Fibe 10. With Win 7 I never bothered with my usage, never even came close to 250GB. With Win 10, I visit check IN on my internet usage everyday, I'm afraid of going over my limit. I was over my limit 2 months back and it's costly. I'm close to my limit now with the update, 20MB used 5MB left with 14 days left. I doubt that I will make it this month even on cruise control with the economy mode activated. Thanks Microsoft, my bandwidth is currently rising faster than my utility rates.

Reaction score
To be fair. From what you guys say (Norton, Charlie and Cassidy) it is the internet use that is your problem not how many cpu resources the O/S uses. If you are using old machines with very limited internal resources then maybe you should move to Linux...or put an upgrade on the Christmas list.

I fully agree that W10 is chatty even with the telemetry turned off as much as it can be and of course not being able to stop updates. This is a major problem if you are on an expensive and/or slow link. MS have the 'switch' for metered connection and they should spend some effort on improving that.
Cortana can be mostly disabled and you are under no obligation to use it. I don't. I use good old Google to search for stuff.

Reaction score
Cassidy How true. My bandwidth monthly usage has doubled since using Windows 10. My monthly(Bell) plan is 250 GB Fibe 10. With Win 7 I never bothered with my usage, never even came close to 250GB. With Win 10, I visit check IN on my internet usage everyday, I'm afraid of going over my limit. I was over my limit 2 months back and it's costly. I'm close to my limit now with the update, 20MB used 5MB left with 14 days left. I doubt that I will make it this month even on cruise control with the economy mode activated. Thanks Microsoft, my bandwidth is currently rising faster than my utility rates.
Download Glasswire. You can see exactly what's using your bandwidth. For me, this PC alone used 140.1gb in the last month. Opera used 80gb, Windows Upgrade 9.4gb, Firefox 7gb, System 6.7gb, Steam 5.1gb, Host Process 3.9gb, Chrome 2.7gb, HiPatch Service 2.6gb, IE 1.9gb, Dropbox 1.9gb, Battlefield 4 1.8gb, Origin 1.7gb, etc.

My other PC used 67.6gb. Chrome used 32gb, Origin 18gb, Opera 8.3gb, Host Process 4.7gb, Firefox 1.4gb, Dropbox 738mb, etc.

Really not much as far as anything from Windows 10 specifically. Most of the bandwidth I used through the browser is streaming twitch, youtube, and netflix.

Reaction score
Tim I do very little internet browsing, I never use Utube, play tunes, no facebook, the only downloads I do are antivirus updates which are at the best every 7 days. Looking back on my Bell bandwidth history it has more than doubled since switching from Win 7. I've had the same plan for many years and not once came anywhere close to exceeding my bandwidth cap.

Reaction score
To be fair. From what you guys say (Norton, Charlie and Cassidy) it is the internet use that is your problem not how many cpu resources the O/S uses. If you are using old machines with very limited internal resources then maybe you should move to Linux...or put an upgrade on the Christmas list.

I fully agree that W10 is chatty even with the telemetry turned off as much as it can be and of course not being able to stop updates. This is a major problem if you are on an expensive and/or slow link. MS have the 'switch' for metered connection and they should spend some effort on improving that.
Cortana can be mostly disabled and you are under no obligation to use it. I don't. I use good old Google to search for stuff.

Hi Tim see also please my reply on the thread I started "windows 10 system apps"

To be honest Tim of the three, memory, CPU and bandwidth usage for me the least concern is bandwidth, but it is a concern none the less.
In what universe is it acceptable that applications the "user" is not "using" are consuming XXX mb's of internet bandwidth constantly? its not as if this "flow" is "now and then" or "sometimes" it is a constant stream up and down 100% of the time the computer is on with windows 10. Open your system config and task manager and you will see that regardless of what browser you are using Edge is cooking away 24/7/365 "doing god knows what" because "you" the user had not requested it to do anything. and this is BTW, regardless of any attempts to adjust with settings.
What happened to users being able to decide when activities were to occur?.
So I have not a fancy system but ample cores and memory and there are no applications or games that I am aware of that I am not able to run at highest settings, that said...
In what universe is it acceptable that applications the "user" is not "using" ...lets say Cortana and Edge, are consuming more then 0 memory and CPU? again I suggest you have a peek at system resources, with both of those system applications disabled as much as Microsoft will allow and all settings optimized for the least intrusive background experience they still consume an insane amount of CPU and memory, at times Edge, when not even active is using 25% of the available cpu (here i would love to know doing what btw) and over 1gig of memory between the two.
none of this would be an issue at all, nor should it be in a sane world, if we end users had been given an option to chose whether or not we wished to have these applications.
What possible argument can be made for the reason these system applications are being forced on us?

Reaction score
Do I have this update sharing right? That is, other computers besides your home network (if set up) can download updates from your PC. Isn't that how Limewire music downloads worked, sharing music files with other PC's on line and could download music off your music library. Is that how the MS shared updates works. MS put the updates out there just once and then let other users PC's share your recent updates?
That would consume bandwidth.

Reaction score

Cortana is a big flop I've had it disabled since day one, telemetry too. We may think they are turned off but this could be another MS carrot, give users what they want to see, but they don't have to work. I smell a class action lawsuit by the end of the year.

Reaction score

Tim, I have a 3 Gig processor with 8 Gig of memory, never had any issue with WIN 7 and I am on internet a lot. I have an AC1900 router that is kick butt. My internet speeds are very good, both downloads and uploads, so don't believe it is the system. I like WIN 10 but do not like it dictating what browser I use

Reaction score
Win10 doesn't dictate what browser you use. Cortana may force Edge to be used but nothing else does...unless Outlook also uses Edge when you click on a link. I don't use Outlook or any other MS mail so I don't know.

Reaction score
Win10 doesn't dictate what browser you use. Cortana may force Edge to be used but nothing else does...unless Outlook also uses Edge when you click on a link. I don't use Outlook or any other MS mail so I don't know.

When I switch default browser to IE the system works better, however does not let me open links in anything, takes me to "Locate Link Browser" in My documents

Reaction score
I'll have to try that. I haven't used IE since Firefox was invented and then Chrome!

Ask a Question