SOLVED WMP 12 not loading all music into library

Reaction score
I have tried erasing possible corrupted libraries (many times), turning off and turning on windows features (media) without any success. WMP12 in Win 10 is not adding all my music into it's library. (It did once before, but upon rebuilding the library after making many tag changes it now doesn't anymore.) I also found that tag changes made in my WMP12 does not get embedded into mp3, which obviously means that all changes are lost after first reboot.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Peet,

Could you confirm how you tried to erase corrupted libraries?

If I intended on doing that myself this is the process I'd take:
  • In search box type services | then press Enter
  • Click "name" column to reverse its alphabetical order
  • Locate Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service | if it was running then:
    • right click this | select stop

• Next press Winkey + R to open the Run Dialog
  • Type: %localappdata%\Microsoft | then click OK (or press the Enter key)
  • Next scroll down and right click the Windows Media folder | select Delete
  • Note: This will delete all media content and ratings too

• Next open Windows Media Player.
  • This will automatically rebuild the Library and any media you have ought to be added to it.

So is this how you did it? If not that may be why your attempts so far have not worked.

Another option before going through the above steps is with Windows Media Player open:
  • Either press Alt | select tools > Apply media information changes
  • Or click Manage | then click on Apply media information changes

This may force an auto-refresh and in essence take what you have done up to now and actually apply the change; which thus may update your Library. Worth a shot before the more drastic method above.

Re the tag change you mentioned. Sorry but I've not run into this issue before so I cannot think of anything to remedy that off hand. Hopefully, someone else in the forum may have an idea on that issue.

Edit: Probably teaching a duck to paddle here but this Dummies site shows how to edit files in WMP 12 to simulate tagging: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-update-and-correct-song-tags-in-windows-med.html

Also this blogger created a plug-in for WMP 12 to allow advanced tagging on certain file formats. While it does not mention mp3's it might be worth you time contacting the blogger with that issue as he may know how to fix that. His site is here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,75123.0.html

Note: I have no idea whether that plug-in is Windows 10 compatible so you might want to check with him first on that too, should you consider trying it out.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Peet,

Could you confirm how you tried to erase corrupted libraries?

If I intended on doing that myself this is the process I'd take:
  • In search box type services | then press Enter
  • Click "name" column to reverse its alphabetical order
  • Locate Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service | if it was running then:
    • right click this | select stop

• Next press Winkey + R to open the Run Dialog
  • Type: %localappdata%\Microsoft | then click OK (or press the Enter key)
  • Next scroll down and right click the Windows Media folder | select Delete
  • Note: This will delete all media content and ratings too

• Next open Windows Media Player.
  • This will automatically rebuild the Library and any media you have ought to be added to it.

So is this how you did it? If not that may be why your attempts so far have not worked.

Another option before going through the above steps is with Windows Media Player open:
  • Either press Alt | select tools > Apply media information changes
  • Or click Manage | then click on Apply media information changes

This may force an auto-refresh and in essence take what you have done up to now and actually apply the change; which thus may update your Library. Worth a shot before the more drastic method above.

Re the tag change you mentioned. Sorry but I've not run into this issue before so I cannot think of anything to remedy that off hand. Hopefully, someone else in the forum may have an idea on that issue.

Edit: Probably teaching a duck to paddle here but this Dummies site shows how to edit files in WMP 12 to simulate tagging: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-update-and-correct-song-tags-in-windows-med.html

Also this blogger created a plug-in for WMP 12 to allow advanced tagging on certain file formats. While it does not mention mp3's it might be worth you time contacting the blogger with that issue as he may know how to fix that. His site is here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,75123.0.html

Note: I have no idea whether that plug-in is Windows 10 compatible so you might want to check with him first on that too, should you consider trying it out.

Regards,

Regedit32

Hi Regedit32

Yes, I have done exactly as you suggested above. I had done it numerous times previously, with the exception of stopping the shared services, to no avail. I did today try that as well and repeated the process, but alas, no joy.

I did however notice a few things which might be of some assistance. Firstly, when turning media off, restarting and turning it back on again (under add/stop windows features) one would assume a totally clean install of wmp is done in win 10. This is NOT the case. Options I had selected under library previously, remains exactly the same after this install and does not revert to the default options. Why would my options be saved and be re-applied when windows media is turned off and then back on later? If this is normal, how could I do a totally clean reinstall of wmp only without having to reinstall win 10?

WMP did start loading my library. Although I have a very large library, wmp had no problem loading it at first. Now, however, it starts scanning and loading my library but mysteriously stops after about 10 minutes without completing the process. It shows that it is still updating the library but it hangs as no files are loaded (even 24 hours later).

Do you have any further thoughts? How can WMP be clean installed?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did however notice a few things which might be of some assistance. Firstly, when turning media off, restarting and turning it back on again (under add/stop windows features) one would assume a totally clean install of wmp is done in win 10. This is NOT the case.

Hi Peet,

If I understand you correctly you attempted the recommended method for a clean install of Windows Media Player 12 by doing the following:
  • Press Winkey + X | select Control panel
  • In the upper right area of window select View by: Category
  • Click on Programs
  • Under Programs and Features click on Turn Windows Features On or Off
  • Expanding the Media Features folder by click the + | then placing a checkmark next to Windows Media Player
  • Restart computer
  • Then repeat steps by remove the checkmark next to Windows Media Player and restart PC again

Assuming you did that with no positive result either, then one last method you could try is:

Note: Make a System Restore Point first (give the following steps is a suggestion only not a guarantee fix)
  • In Search box type: Create a restore point | then click Create button
  • Enter title and date for easy reference should you choose to use the restore point later then click the Create button
  • In search box type Programs and Features | then press Enter key
  • Scroll down and click once on PlayReady PC Runtime amd64 | then in upper toolbar click Uninstall
  • Then do the above steps to remove Media Player, then re-enable Media player

Unfortunately Windows Media Player 12 is effectively built into Windows 10 install, so I'm not aware of any official standalone installers for this.

You may ultimately need to consider a clean install of Windows 10 to see if that improves things.

If you really wanted to go super detective we could modify your Registry to allow you to Manually force a BSOD.

Then you could use a utility to view the BSOD dump file to see what is going on at the precise moment it hangs on your 10 minute mark. That could be anything though; a corrupt image file for a album, a corrupt music file, a corrupt driver and so on (although given SFC failed to find an issue its probably not a system driver issue).

Anyway for now report back re the PlayReady PC Runtime amd64 uninstall.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question