Word was not able to start

Reaction score
Hello. I have this weird problem.
When I try to open a Microsoft Word file I get an error: Word was not able to start.
This started after I upgraded from the trial Win 10 to the full release of 10 a couple of weeks ago. I'm using Office 2016, and everything else works fine, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. It shows up for one DOC file but not others. I've tried uninstalling Office and re-installing. No help.
Any suggestions ? Thanks

Reaction score
Trial version of Win10? Haven't seen it. There are computers that come with a Trial version of Microsoft Office.

For the file problem I generally use a diagnostic of the Free LibreOffice, install then try with difficult files, sometimes works.
www.libreoffice.org
LO and Office don't interfere except when needing to establish default file associations.

Reaction score
  1. Open the document in Office Word.
  2. Click file> save as> word document> Save as type> Word Document> save and close out of Word.
    Word-20131.png
  3. Restart machine
  4. Open the copy of the document you created in step 2 in Word , no memory error and font/style is still preserved.
For more information: how to fix Word errors.

Ask a Question