WOW..... just wow!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Microsoft has very quietly pulled the 1511 update
These downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update (Version 1511).
SOURCE: The media creation tool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I wonder what's up. Sure would be nice to know these kind of things in advance, when we're trying to help people.

Checking my default go to link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND, I believe those have been changed also as the download names have been reverted back to
Win10_English_x64.iso and Win10_English_x32.iso
From
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso and Win10_1511_English_x32.iso

I'm gonna stick with..... WOW!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no idea and I can't seem to find anything official from Microsoft or on Gabe's twitter feed, but.....
It is the weekend.
Nothing I can find in the "Insider Hub" either, had to reinstall it to get it to work.
AND
They just release the mobile version of 10586 on the Insider's slow ring, so.....
I don't know what the hell is going on.
Maybe we'll hear something by mid-day Monday, or not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No, it's not.
I guess, for the time being...... that's the end of the much anticipated Threshold 2 (TH_2) release, if you want to download Windows 10, you're stuck with 10240, and me.....
Waited and waited to finally get my hands on it for a custom clean install and now I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not.
So glad, for disk images. I can always go back and start over if need be.

Bif

Reaction score
I had upgraded to the November build using via the tool method the other day,all when smooth as silk...I also per your suggestion downloaded the ISO from the tech bench link.I hope all will be copacetic at my end..I wonder if I should roll back or stick with this mysterious build?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Time will tell, I suppose.
It might just be some technical glitch where the resource pages were reverted and it's all a big mix-up, but.....
It certainly looks like a deliberate effort on someone's part to walk back the big update, which when you think about it, is kind of semi-funny in a way, because those of us who care about such things were all over it the minute it became available, so.....
Closing the barn doors after the horses have escaped seems an awkward way of going about things.

Bif

Reaction score
If I decided to roll back to10240 ,would I simply use the "Roll Back To AN Earlier Build" option in Updates & Security?...seems almost too easy.

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. With everyone that was updated through Windows Update, this is on MS either way.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If I decided to roll back to10240 ,would I simply use the "Roll Back To AN Earlier Build" option in Updates & Security?...seems almost too easy.
I'd hold off for now.
I'm not experiencing any bizarre behavior, so I'm not going there .... yet. I'll wait to hear something more official from the horse's mouth before I decide.
Which may include some suggestions as to how to go back and what method would work best
When and if I do I'll simply revert back to my disk image I made immediately before performing this most recent custom clean install

Bif

Reaction score
Yeah,I'm experiencing NO issues whatsoever..and truth be told the new build seems to run a little smoother..I won't sweat it and wait for more info to come down the pipe.;)

Reaction score
Well, I've got three machines on the 1511 update, and all are humming along without any major issues. I hadn't seen this post until this evening, and I guess WOW is as good a response as any. Hopefully some kind of meaningful clarification will be forthcoming. Guess for now, I'll just keep doin' what I'm doin' with the present level.

Reaction score
Well, I've got three machines on the 1511 update, and all are humming along without any major issues. I hadn't seen this post until this evening, and I guess WOW is as good a response as any. Hopefully some kind of meaningful clarification will be forthcoming. Guess for now, I'll just keep doin' what I'm doin' with the present level.
Makes sense to me. I've got two and if they ain't broke I ain't gonna fix 'em.

Reaction score
I have 3 on 1511. A Free W10 machine and 2 insiders. They are all running well. If there is something wrong with it I'll expect an update within a few days. I can understand them stopping new installs until a bug is fixed while they work on a fix.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There does seem to be some varied and assorted odd behavior on many machines since the threshold update.
Maybe the know something we don't. I thought it was kinda weird when a cumulative update for threshold followed almost immediately on the heels of installing it.
There has to be more to the story.

Reaction score
View attachment 1622 I'm late to this thread. I cannot comment on the Techbench discrepancies, it is not a site I use.

I think that it is a programming/typo error though.

This is what has been on MSDN downloads since the th2,and still remains.

Capture.PNG

I did install the th2 upgrade, as soon as it was made available, and have had no issues - so far!

Capture2.PNG

Reaction score
IMO. I don't see any real issue. I have read through the thread more thoroughly now,

The media creation tool was, I would say, for those who had upgraded in the correct manner, but for their own peace of mind, wanted an ISO to go with it. I would not think it was ever intended to be updated to include successive builds.
As far as the Techbench downloads are concerned (my own opinion, again!) The original title or download, was the error, not the subsequent change. Users are meant to download the full RTM (240) and accept the compulsory upgrades from that point.
I have a darned good idea as to why, but, for the moment, will hang in to see what pops up when the working week starts over again.

Reaction score
Microsoft’s official comment(s) are below:

The November update was originally available via the MCT (Media Creation Tool), but the company decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 [Build 10240] using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

Microsoft has not pulled the Windows 10 November 10 update. The company is rolling out the November update over time – if you don’t see it in Windows Update, you will see it soon.

Reaction score
At some point MS will have to release new Build ISO's. Just look at all the updates Windows 7 has since SP1. It makes installation a nightmare if you have a huge update download directly afterward. And here we are already with that in Windows 10. The 1511 update is a huge update. And that's not to mention they don't cleanup after themselves the way they should. I still had to manually clean my machine.

I'm glad I downloaded the ISO's when I had the chance. If anyone here want to create a torrent (P2P sharing) with 1511 I will help. I swear MS has lost their collective minds!

Reaction score
At some point MS will have to release new Build ISO's. Just look at all the updates Windows 7 has since SP1. It makes installation a nightmare if you have a huge update download directly afterward. And here we are already with that in Windows 10. The 1511 update is a huge update. And that's not to mention they don't cleanup after themselves the way they should. I still had to manually clean my machine.

I'm glad I downloaded the ISO's when I had the chance. If anyone here want to create a torrent (P2P sharing) with 1511 I will help. I swear MS has lost their collective minds!

Indeed they have. I am glad I have it as well. I can remember the nightmare of re-installing Windows 7 without the SP1. After doing that once I made a slip streamed Win 7 SP1 DVD. Whatever happened To what Gabe Aul once said that ISO's will be provided. Well I am still in the Insiders Group but inactive and I will stay that way. Yes if you have access to MSDN this does not affect you.

Ask a Question