WOW..... just wow!

Reaction score
I am not, by any imagination, a Linux user. But, on prompting, I just downloaded their latest ISO. (15.10)
It works great for someone that is not stuck in an ecosystem that can not be found in Linux. I'm finding more and more alternatives to replace my Windows ecosystem all the time.

The file manager (Total Commander) I use does not have a Linux version. Here just the other day I came across an application for which I think would be a great alternative. The name is "Double Commander" and was inspired by Total Commander.

It wouldn't take long for me to get used to using LibreOffice instead of MS Office.

All other software I use aside from games is cross-platform. If Steam ever finishes their project with Steam OS, there would be nothing holding me back from making a switch to Linux.

Reaction score
They had better watch out.!!!!

I am not, by any imagination, a Linux user. But, on prompting, I just downloaded their latest ISO. (15.10)

You can install this on a bootable USb or DVD. When you boot up to your chosen device, It offers to install or run a "Live " copy.
I did the latter. This is very good I am impressed!!

I used Ubuntu for some years but if I were to use Linux now I'd use Mint 17.x which is developed from Ubuntu. I DO use Raspbian on my Pies which is a Debian clone and also works very well.

One joy of the 'Live copy' run from the USB or DVD is being able to rescue aberrant Windows file systems as all the main Linux distros have NTFS available and Linux partition tools work really well.

From your earlier post Dave.
"
But, if an unsuspecting user buys a new computer (or s/h) from an enthusiastic helpful dealer, who has already updated from the Windows 8.1 machines he is trying to flog, the buyer may find that the one month has already passed."

Surely a NEW computer with W10 would need the owner to purchase a W7 or W8 licence and media to go back with no guarantee the the older OS would work. I don't see why a NEW computer would have any old OS lurking on its disk. A refurbished machine might well have either I guess.

"

Reaction score
On this approximate topic. I think it is about time that MS offered some inducement for XP and Vista users to upgrade. Probably they'd need a quite sophisticated program to thoroughly check compatibility especially for video and network and I think for whatever mail system these old machines might use. Of course that check on missing instructions for the older CPUs required as well. All of this would imho need really good and clear reasons shown as to why a machine cannot be upgraded...not just "your PC is not compatible" but all the details such that a really non-technical person would understand that a new PC was required.

But if an old machine could be upgraded them some kind of deal on a licence.

Reaction score
I believe that your ability to roll back Windows 10 to whatever operating system you upgraded from (Win7 or 8.1) is limited to 30 days and not "anytime"

That is not true. As long as you have a valid legit Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Key anyone can revert back to their prior Windows. I have done it way past the 31 day limit. If you do a clean install of Windows 7, you will not be allowed to get back to Windows 10 unless your purchase it

The 31 day limit is for the windows.old folder use only.

Reaction score
On this approximate topic. I think it is about time that MS offered some inducement for XP and Vista users to upgrade. Probably they'd need a quite sophisticated program to thoroughly check compatibility especially for video and network and I think for whatever mail system these old machines might use. Of course that check on missing instructions for the older CPUs required as well. All of this would imho need really good and clear reasons shown as to why a machine cannot be upgraded...not just "your PC is not compatible" but all the details such that a really non-technical person would understand that a new PC was required.

But if an old machine could be upgraded them some kind of deal on a licence.

There is for Vista, you have to pay but not very much.

Reaction score
If you have the install media, you can, of course, reinstall your earlier OS at any time. The problem lies with the key. I don't dare try it, but, I would imagine that possibly, at the start of the installation, it will accept your earlier legit key (For 7 or 8 or whatever). From then on, I haven't read any reports of what will happen. Possibly you will end up with an OS which says it is activated, possibly not. One thing I think is possible, though is that at some early stage, your OS will become non activated

You will have to call MS and go through the automated activation procedure which is quite simple. Takes about 5 minutes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is not true. As long as you have a valid legit Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Key anyone can revert back to their prior Windows
"Rolling back" your Windows 10 Operating System to your former (previous) Operating System (Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 w/Update) is not the same thing as reinstalling your previous operating system.
Of course you can reinstall your previous version of Windows
Although, as davehc points out in a previous post, I am not absolutely sure that the product key you use (the one for your previous OS) will remain legitimate over a prolonged period of time as it was used as a qualifier to support the free upgrade. I do not no if Microsoft has a policy regarding the legitimacy of a product key that was used as such and or if they are keeping a data base of those keys to be marked at some point in the future as unusable.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no doubt that the key will work.
I just don't know what might happen over the long term...... maybe nothing and everything will be fine.

Reaction score
I have no doubt that the key will work.
I just don't know what might happen over the long term...... maybe nothing and everything will be fine.

It will per MS
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
Recovery options in Windows 10
Applies to Windows 10
00dd6257-6e9f-4d7f-a9f9-02f5c1e6d5f8_9.png

If your PC isn't running as quickly or reliably as it used to, try one of these recovery options. The following table can help you decide which one to use.

Problem
See this section
Your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Restore from a system restore point

Your PC isn’t working well and it’s been a while since you installed anything new.

Reset your PC

You want to reinstall your previous operating system.

Go back to your previous version of Windows

Your PC won't start and you've created a recovery drive.

Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows

Your PC won't start and you haven't created a recovery drive.

Use installation media to reinstall Windows

Show all
Restore from a system restore point
Reset your PC
Go back to your previous version of Windows
Use a recovery drive to reinstall Windows
Use installation media to reinstall Windows

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Coming up on 2 O'clock pacific time and still utter and complete silence from Microsoft.
Nothing from Gabe or the inside hub or blogs.windows.com since the 20th, silent all weekend and so far all of today.
I can almost see them huddled up, getting their stories straight.
Or maybe since twitter has gone silent on the matter they don't want to shake the bush.

Bif

Reaction score
Coming up on 2 O'clock pacific time and still utter and complete silence from Microsoft.
Nothing from Gabe or the inside hub or blogs.windows.com since the 20th, silent all weekend and so far all of today.
I can almost see them huddled up, getting their stories straight.
Or maybe since twitter has gone silent on the matter they don't want to shake the bush.
I envision this...for no particular reason.

Technology-entrepreneur-N-002.jpg

Reaction score
Interesting section.
There are also reports that clean installations of build 1511 aren't working properly with BitLocker. Upgrades seem to be fine.
From that perspective, it seems they screwed up Bitlocker in the new ISO's. Therefor giving them reason for recall and future ISO build release.

My question is how creating the ISO doesn't give the same effect as an upgrade?

Bif

Reaction score
Bills
From that perspective, it seems they screwed up Bitlocker in the new ISO's. Therefor giving them reason for recall and future ISO build release.

My question is how creating the ISO doesn't give the same effect as an upgrade?
Bill's feverishly tweaking as we type...
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_imagesR2YMJYOS.jpg

Ask a Question