XP virtual machine on Windows 7 after Win10 upgrade

Reaction score
Has anyone heard what will become of the XP virtual machine, installed on Windows 7 machines, when the free 'update' to Windows 10 is applied to the Windows 7 machine?

Reaction score
What I meant was that Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8. In the process of upgrading 7 to 10, what will happen to the XP virtual machine that is already there along with Win 7. Will that set aside area of the hard drive just be overwritten or left alone? The upgrade from 7 will be the only one where this is an issue, since as you state, Win 8 does not support it.

Reaction score
Ahh, interesting. I can't answer that question. I too, have a machine that could benefit from that notion.

Although judging by MS past. They usually only support the most recent OS as an in-place upgrade qualification. Remember Windows 7 could upgrade Windows XP, but it had to be a clean install upgrade. The same is true for Installing Windows 8, an in-place install is not supported for Windows Vista. I can only imagine Windows 10 will be the same for Windows 7.

Ask a Question