Your laptop dropping Wi-Fi on normal, functioning home network?

Reaction score
January 2, 2017

After the cumulative update this Fall [and as a non-knowledgeable Windows 10 user but with many years of happy older Windows behind me] I started having Wi-Fi dropouts here at home. Other computers in the house working fine.

Went to computer shop, they re-installed the internet adapter driver, seemed to work fine there.

Had further episodes at home, after a smooth day with no episodes. Finally I tried putting my laptop on a raised wire grid, an ordinary kitchen resting-place for hot casseroles or baked items to cool down. Remembering the same computer shop some time back warned me to keep this Asus laptop on a cool base, not sitting running all day on the table.

At the same time I was trying to adjust my power settings and got into the W10 power menu in Settings, and found all kinds of detailed settings there that might have been turning off my adapter, my this, my that... why in heavens name one isn't alerted to these early on, I don't know. I still don't really understand them as some of them seem to contradict other more general power settings. After making what I think might be sensible settings, and also putting my computer to sleep when I'm not using it, seems to have solved my Wi-Fi dropout problems. Was it overheating? Was something being turned off? Maybe some expert here knows.

Ask a Question