Zooming Out the Desktop

Reaction score
I have tried everything. I'm on an Alienware 14 with just a 1366x780 resolution. Currently I use linux because I can zoom out the desktop to a size that makes computing reasonable. On windows, some apps just don't even fit in the screen.

I imagine there is a RegEdit trick and I'm aware it may effect with screen-life.

Any ideas, anybody?

Reaction score
Are your settings like this:

2020-11-24_212821.jpg

and can you zoom out with [CTRL] [-] ??

Reaction score
Are your settings like this:

View attachment 12756

and can you zoom out with [CTRL] [-] ??

I wish it was that simple. I need LESS than 100%, like 75%. I can do it on Xorg in Linux with the xrandr command but I'm a huge fan of Windows 10 and would like to spend more time on it. No, ctrl - doesn't go below 100. Thank you.

Reaction score
Thank you, but no. Win - won't zoom out to less that 100% of the screen. Nobody seems to be understanding the issue here.

The problem is I need to overscan the xserver. I need to fit like 1600x900 pixels on a 1366x780 monitor. Linux can do this so I know it's technically possible, however windows has not included the function in their software. It may be possible in a RegEdit function as I mentioned.

I do appreciate the dialogue. Thank you both.

Reaction score
I have a few Notebooks ranging from 11" to 17" and have never been able to set the Resolution to larger numbers than the recommended size with the default drivers. None have the dual graphics adapters in them so are limited as you see. Those with the dual adapter may be able to do it.

Reaction score
Yep. That's my experience as well. I love the alienware and I love Windows 10 but I can't really work at 1366x780 comfortably. I like to split the window and work with several apps at once. I have a Retina Macbook Pro and I can do it on the Alienware but in Linux. I wish I had the coding skills to make an app that can do this. It's a pretty simple Xorg function in Linux. :( Thanks, everybody. I guess I'll leave this open in case somebody super advanced has an answer. For now, I throw in the towel.

Reaction score
I'm now on a Dell XPS 17" and the max resolution is 1600 x 900 pixels. It pretty much boils down to the combination of the screen size and graphics driver as to what is possible.

Reaction score
Well, yes, but the graphics drivers for linux do it with xrandr command. It's okay. I wanted to learn Windows a little better but for me the best way to do that is immerse myself in the system but I can't handle such a small resolution. The Alienware was pretty inexpensive so I guess that's why. On Linux, it completely rocks. Thanks, all.

Ask a Question