Hibernation issue on my desktop after Win10 froze

Reaction score
A couple of hours ago font viewer caused Win 10 to freeze. After reinitiation I noticed that no longer could hibernate the system ( in my case it is done on the keyboard by keeping FN pressed and then F1 ).
Power Options seems exactly as It was to me (balanced option is chosen).
Any suggestion ? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

try disabling all power saving modes then restart and re-do them as you had before, that might work?. :)

Reaction score
Not working as it did before.
One of the difficulties I found it was the Power saving mode menus deal with time not with the keyboard press keys (FN+F1) event.
I´ve tried different Power configurations and with one of them I managed to hibernate ... or sleep ( ? ) the system.
By pressing FN + F1 the system "hibernated" but when I woke it up it was not as usually : it was like a new boot ( a faster one ) , I had to retype my password and then all the previously opened screens were loaded at once.
Before the accident as I woke the system up , the 1st screen I got it was directly the last screen when I "hibernated" it.
At this point I am not sure what's hibernation and sleep ?

Reaction score
Not working as it did before when FN+F1 were pressed , the system hibernated then as I woke it up it was ready in a couple of seconds.
In energy options menu I am trying different configurations such as allow hybrid suspension ; suspension button is now in hibernation, it seems that it is what makes hibernation work. This way I can get hibernation but waking up takes a larger time than before. It is like the boot , except that is faster , and I have to type password.

I have no idea how it was configured before yesterday incident. Any suggestion?

Reaction score
I don't have any further suggestions except what i said about disabling all power settings and switching them back on one by one!.

Also, what version of Win 10 do you have?, an upgrade (if necessary) might do the trick!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

do you have the latest version of Win 10? (Currently 2004). :)

Reaction score
Nope ! My connection is not too fast and I´ve postponed the upgrade for a while.
I will read your note about upgrade , thanks a lot.

ps .: strangely enough is how a system "freeze" could have caused that issue ; it is very rare the system to freeze but it has already happened a couple of times and never it affected the hibernation?!

Reaction score
it is very rare the system to freeze but it has already happened a couple of times and never it affected the hibernation?!
How old is the drive and is it HDD or SSD?, it might be a failing drive among other possible problems?. :)

Reaction score
it occurred because I opened a too complex true type font. I was aware of the fact that complex fonts must not be opened but instead right clicked and installed. I had no idea that font was so heavy and there was no warning on the site I downloaded it (usually ttf fonts sites have warnings not to open complex fonts) . As a matter of fact the system did not freeze completely. it went sluggish and I did not find an option to close the font visualizer on task manager. So I was forced to reset.

Ask a Question