SOLVED Hibernation Settings

Reaction score
How do you control when Win10 Hibernates or what ever it is called in Win10. My new PC seems to go into a Hibernated state very soon after you don’t happen to touch the mouse or keyboard for a short period. Win7 I knew where to go but not in Win10. To get it back up I have to hold the power button in for a bit to get it to come back on?

Reaction score
I never worked out a satisfactory combination to use it. Maybe not what you want, but in the end I just turned it off totally.
Easiest is to open a Command prompt (admin) and copy and paste
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
if you want to turn it on again, substitute the off for on

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you want to take a look at the other hibernation settings , you can access it by clicking:

Start > Settings (gear symbol) > System > Power & Sleep

Reaction score
I have not been able to find that (hibernate) setting for quite a while now. I will be interested in the op's follow up. If he has it, then I will have to have a good look through my total configuration!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have not been able to find that (hibernate) setting for quite a while now. I will be interested in the op's follow up. If he has it, then I will have to have a good look through my total configuration!

Yep, you're right - my mistake, it's only sleep settings on that page. To get the full hibernation options you need to further click Additional power settings > Change Plan Settings (current plan) > Change Advanced Power Settings and then look under Sleep > Hibernate. Quite hidden away!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... I don't know how to explain the differences
Do you have Hibernation disabled (powercfg -h off)?

Maybe it has something to do with the choice of plans
Mine is set for High Performance
That might make a difference in the options / offerings..... IDK

Reaction score
Yes. It is my default, on a new installation, to have the hib turned off. For interest, I'll get back to you after some experiments quite a bit later!!

Reaction score
Phew. What a performance!
Tried some hints on the web, none worked-
I finally found that MS disabled the other plans some time ago -omly balanced is.or should, be available?

See here:

Reaction score
Nothing usefull. I tried several options from web hints. Nothing doing. reenable the manual option. Nix.

Then on a a subsequent reboot, suddenly the option was there in the power settings?
Turned off again in Dos, and it was gone. So that seems to be the clue!

Reaction score
How do you control when Win10 Hibernates or what ever it is called in Win10.
If it is a new Win 10 system, hibernation is important for several reasons. If it is a Modern Standby system, hibernation is how you stop the battery drain when the system is not being used. It is also involved in the fast startup for these systems as the hibernation file created is used for startup from a powered down condition. If you do not have fast startup enabled, it does effect hibernation in some ways, possibly depending on your system.

Davehc has stated he turns it off so he should not expect to find a setting for something which is not enabled, but the settings are there as indicated.

Reaction score
Not disagreeing, but, I would say whether to use hibernate, depends on how you use you laptop. Certainly, if the Laptop is part of your continuing occupation during the day, or you are a big game player, then it can be useful to preserve the battery drain as much as possible, whether in or out of Office.
But, for the casual, domestic, user, the advantage can be a arguable. If you have a low budget Laptop, for example, it can put quite a drain on your ram, whilst you are using the laptop. The often stated advantage of starting up and reestablishing your work, where you left it, is , I suggest, not of great importance to the casual user. The difference, if important, in restart/start times, is negligible between opening fro the standby state, to opening from a power off state.
In my case, not, again a great choice for many, is to use a docking statio.n and, when it become a requirement just detach the laptop and take it where it is needed. This means, of course, whilst on the docking station, it is also under full main power. Laptops these days are so advanced that, on average, they can compete favourably with stationaries, and, with a docking station, can be used full time as a stationary

My opinion only.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Preach'n to the choir.
Never have been a big fan of energy saving features. Maybe that's why I never have any problems with them.
I'm convinced that's what the Shut down button is for.

Ask a Question