10 minutes to boot to desktop

Reaction score
about a week ago we had a power outage my computer was left on and after that when i booted it up it tok about 5 to 10 minutes to boot it got the the dell logo and the round dotted circle just keeps spinning. I tried the unplug the power cord from the back of the tower uinplugged all the usb cord in the back held in the start button. it worked for awhile then started again in a bout a week. I thought it was the keyboard so i replaced it and it worked again for a while. the today it started again and again i did the removing of everything from the back. put on a new keyboard adn it is working but why does it work sometime3s and not others ti is like intermittent .. My computer is plugged into a surge bar not directly into the wall shouled i replace the surge bar will that help. or is something conflicting with the start up. I have updated all the windows update3s and drivers etc so i do not understand why it works sometimes and boots up very quickly and then does not other times . Why would a keyboard and a certain port in the back make a difference. Any ideas besides do areinstall of operating system On the times when it takes forever it does eventually boot and runs just fine

Reaction score
was booting just great be4fore power outage now i am not even sure that it is or if it was an update

Reaction score
about a week ago we had a power outage my computer was left on and after that when i booted it up it tok about 5 to 10 minutes to boot it got the the dell logo and the round dotted circle just keeps spinning. I tried the unplug the power cord from the back of the tower uinplugged all the usb cord in the back held in the start button. it worked for awhile then started again in a bout a week. I thought it was the keyboard so i replaced it and it worked again for a while. the today it started again and again i did the removing of everything from the back. put on a new keyboard adn it is working but why does it work sometime3s and not others ti is like intermittent .. My computer is plugged into a surge bar not directly into the wall shouled i replace the surge bar will that help. or is something conflicting with the start up. I have updated all the windows update3s and drivers etc so i do not understand why it works sometimes and boots up very quickly and then does not other times . Why would a keyboard and a certain port in the back make a difference. Any ideas besides do areinstall of operating system On the times when it takes forever it does eventually boot and runs just fine
I have not experienced that problem but if I did I would run a PC Health check program from Microsoft to see if anything is wrong. Also, Run the Disk Cleanup utility to clear out all unnecessary files and restore point files. When running Disk Cleanup, after the first panel comes up, check all the items to clean, then select "clean up system files" and click OK, then after this runs, select "More Options" at the top of the panel then you will see "System Restore and Shadow" copies near the bottom of the pane, click "Clean up", then "delete" and OK to remove all these files. I do this once each week to get rid of unnecessary files on my computer.

Reaction score
Typically such lengthy delays are because the system is waiting for something to respond before moving on. It may do this (wait) multiple times. For example, I used to have an external hard drive that if plugged in before startup extended the startup by 90 seconds, but worked almost instantly if plugged in after startup. It is possibly a driver or hardware issue. It is very unlikely to be a problem with the mains supply (i.e., the surge bar).

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Even after running a System File Check (sfc) and repairing some corrupted files, it continued to be slow as molasses in winter to respond to any input. I finally did a Windows Reset and that fixed it.

To do a SFC, you must run the CMD prompt as administrator. Do this first to repair any corrupted files. Then run Reset my PC from Settings/Update & Security/Recovery/Reset this PC. At that point, you may wish to retain all your files (recommended) before proceeding.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the future: A UPS (uninterrupted power supply) is much better protection than a surge protector. If the power goes out, it keeps the computer running for a short time to allow the computer to be shut down normally.

Could be a bad driver - check device manager for problems. Could be a bad or failing component that the computer keeps trying to start.

It could also be a service.
Run "msconfig". Click Selective startup and check Load system services and Load startup items. Then select
the Services tab. Check the hide all Microsoft services, then select the disable all button. Select Apply, OK, then restart your computer. If Bootup is better, then one of the services you disabled is the problem. To isolate the problem to a single service, re-enable them one at a time, and reboot.

It could be also be something else, but at least you have a place to start, with these and the suggestions from other posters.

Reaction score
For the future: A UPS (uninterrupted power supply) is much better protection than a surge protector. If the power goes out, it keeps the computer running for a short time to allow the computer to be shut down normally.

Could be a bad driver - check device manager for problems. Could be a bad or failing component that the computer keeps trying to start.

It could also be a service.
Run "msconfig". Click Selective startup and check Load system services and Load startup items. Then select
the Services tab. Check the hide all Microsoft services, then select the disable all button. Select Apply, OK, then restart your computer. If Bootup is better, then one of the services you disabled is the problem. To isolate the problem to a single service, re-enable them one at a time, and reboot.

It could be also be something else, but at least you have a place to start, with these and the suggestions from other posters.
I have a UPS (APC) and this still happened to me. Due to the length of the power outage, my UPS battery drained and though I THOUGHT I had configured the APC software to "gracefully" shut down my PC, it didn't. I have about 5 UPS devices, and have used them for over a decade, they still will cause hard shutdowns. They are not a cure-all. For the OP: do what I suggested... run the SFC checker and let it repair any corrupted or missing files, then do a Reset. This will save you time and frustration.

Reaction score
could be ram, mb or even a sata chanel. Your bios settings may have changed also. and could be the boot sector in the harddrive or the file that boots the computer try using a system repair disk. Also try scanning the boot drive also in computer mananagment / storage whatever./properties/scan drive c.

Reaction score
When your computer goes through the boot log check how much ram is working what drives are working and if all is good go into repair computer and fix it if it's software it will self repair.. Also check the device manager as there might be some burnt drivers or damaged items connected to your computer.

Reaction score
the fact its booting to the logo screen is a good thing just means it's having trouble to to start windows. I had the same issue for 3 months when I built my computer and it was the ram timing too high in the bios for my board so I had to drop it back from 1866 to 1600 and runs like a dream ever since until a sata circuit died recently i got a ACHI problem press F! to continue I just disconnected my 5th HDD and puter runs fine now waiting on a sata card so I can get drive 5 running again.

Reaction score
download support assist from delland run every test then go to history in support assist and there you will find every test you did and then it will show errors.(I did not read every comment so it may be solved already :):):))

Last edited:
Reaction score
Typically such lengthy delays are because the system is waiting for something to respond before moving on. It may do this (wait) multiple times. For example, I used to have an external hard drive that if plugged in before startup extended the startup by 90 seconds, but worked almost instantly if plugged in after startup. It is possibly a driver or hardware issue. It is very unlikely to be a problem with the mains supply (i.e., the surge bar).
I had that problem with a HDD. I disconnected each HDD in turn and when the "bad" HDD was removed, fast booting recommenced!
Sparky

Ask a Question