SOLVED 1803 / June cumulative 17134.112 - Question about delaying updates:

Reaction score
In win7 I always wait until near the first of the month and then install the previous month's update. That way, if the updates are initially bad, they can have been pulled or corrected, or so goes the theory. But I have never had a prob with win7 where other folks have... :)

In win10 I didn't think about that and have taken stuff as it comes. When the June cumulative suddenly appeared I realized maybe I should slow down. (fortunately no problems with the -06 cumulative update)

so I went to settings / windows update / advanced options, and set
Automatically download updates... to OFF
Pause updates to ON

and put a big sign on the top of my laptop saying Updates paused. :D

My plan is:
on or very shortly after the 1st of a month (before update Tuesday) :
image/backup partitions,
turn Pause updates to OFF,
let it do whatever it wants,
then turn Pause updates back ON for another month.

Yes, it's manual, but I have no problem with remembering since that's what I already do with win7. Will this do what I want or will windows override settings and update anyway?

Loving win10!!! (since 1709 it looks a lot like win7!!!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that a better approach is to set pause back to OFF, and to set both quality and feature updates to delay 21 days. That way I will get the AV updates immediately and cumulative updates will be delayed for 21 days. - by then they should be fine... That way I will get the little stuff like AV definitions, immediately.

Reaction score
That would be fine if they pulled or corrected the updates before the next month's update. This never happens. You're better off making a system image with Macrium Reflect.

Reaction score
I hear of folks having this "not fixed" problem though I have oddly never had it. The manual delay to just before update Tues has always worked for me on win7 (except once in Mar I believe I waited 2 months because something was supposed to be bad in there.). No way to do that exactly on win10 so I will try setting both feature and quality updates to delay 21 days, and I have my new note on my laptop reminding me to "IMAGE on 19th or 20th", and I do indeed use Macrium - I occasionally image the whole SSD, and at least monthly image [system,win7,win10] - takes 6 min or so - 33GB - USB3 to SATA to SATA3 "internal" (about 1Gb/s)(read "inexpensive"!!!) drive (in new Sabrent aluminum enclosure (also inexpensive!!!) )..

EDIT: this is still a dirty build: 1603 to 1709 to insider to 1803 Apr 30 release (manually updated with setup on ISO each time)(never use win update for version update). However, as long as it works fine I probably will not clean build until 1809 or whatever. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe the dirty build as you call it is the root problem.
MS changed their update policy with the Fall Creator Update. User deferred updates 1 week, 90 days 120 month is no longer (Win 10 Pro. 1803 build 17134.112.) an option. MS want all Win 10 users to to be on the same page for security reasons.

Reaction score
@Norton, I have no idea what you are talking about. No problems here. If there was I would clean build. Win update just automatically updated me to 17134.112 . It puts all updates on with no problems.

Reaction score
@Norton, I have no idea what you are talking about. No problems here. If there was I would clean build. Win update just automatically updated me to 17134.112 . It puts all updates on with no problems.

Kris22 Post # 1 & 3 you mention:
"EDIT: this is still a dirty build: 1603 to 1709 to insider to 1803 Apr 30 release (manually updated with setup on ISO each time)(never use win update for version update). However, as long as it works fine I probably will not clean build until 1809 or whatever" :)

"I hear of folks having this "not fixed" problem though I have oddly never had it"

I don't have a clue what you are currently running or if you actually have a problem. You mention in the OP Win 7 four times, Win 10 twice.
icon_scratch.png

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that a better approach is to set pause back to OFF, and to set both quality and feature updates to delay 21 days. That way I will get the AV updates immediately and cumulative updates will be delayed for 21 days. - by then they should be fine... That way I will get the little stuff like AV definitions, immediately.

I'm going to mark this thread as solved and mark this as the solution though I realistically won't know for a month or 2 or 3. Thanks all!

Ask a Question