2020-1 Windows 10 Cumulative Updates.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Today's "Update Tuesday" seems to have addressed the defrag issue, although when I went through the process on all my drives, when I got to the SSD it looked a little fishy. Almost like it defragged it like another mechanical spinner rather than an SSD. Haven't seen this happen before. Usually it just does a quick Trim and that's it.
Anyway.... the defrag history info survived a shut down and restart and ....
I'm on 19041.508

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, just rebooted my Office unit I had updated yesterday and ran Trim on my SSD and Analyze on the hard drives. they seem to have saved the record. I did not experience the issue on Defrag running on my SSD it appears to run Trim and actually showed it was running Trim as it was running.

Reaction score
Ok someone brought this up on another forum I have am experience the same thing
This is what is coming up in Event Viewer on this issue.
C: SSD runs Trim
D:Hard Drive Runs Defrag
D:Hard Drive fails, attempt to run Trim. wrong picture but E and D are on the same hard drive different partitions all had the same error message.
This happens on all hard Drives. I did not see any error messages on the SSD but all hard drives get this error message after the Defrag
2020-09-09_Trim on SSD.jpg

2020-09-09_Defrag complete on Hard Drive.jpg

2020-09-09_Trim attempt on Hard Drive failed.jpg

Reaction score
Ok someone brought this up on another forum I have am experience the same thing
This is what is coming up in Event Viewer on this issue.
C: SSD runs Trim
D:Hard Drive Runs Defrag
D:Hard Drive fails, attempt to run Trim. wrong picture but E and D are on the same hard drive different partitions all had the same error message.
This happens on all hard Drives. I did not see any error messages on the SSD but all hard drives get this error message after the Defrag
View attachment 12411
View attachment 12412
View attachment 12413
I'm going to check this out on my Notebook as it has all SSD no spinners at all

Reaction score
Ok installed 508 on my notebook Asus G752VY this all my notebooks have all SSD's no hard drives. Anyway ran Optimizer and Trim ran and kept date and time. Look in Event Viewer and it shows that all SSD and Partitions ran Trim and no errors afterward.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
So are you all installing 2004? There seem to be many issues on other forums with this latest Feature upgrade?
yes i have been having the same trouble on 2 computers i tried installing it on! it downloaded ok but then got halfway through the update and crashed both.
lucky was able to do a roll back. so given up on that update at moment until they sort it

Reaction score
No problems installing on the computers available to me.
On my home (Two) computers, the internal ssd trim as usual. The external ssd gave me the same experience as Trouble. It started to defrag, got to 6%, then said OK.
A second attempt went ok.

Reaction score
I have one desktop that I have installed 2004 *.508 on successfully. twice and had to restore back due to other issues with that unit. I am again installing, VIA MCT ISO upgrade install. it blue screened me this morning. and rolled back to 1909 Running DISM tools to repair the image and will give it another try.

Reaction score
yes i have been having the same trouble on 2 computers i tried installing it on! it downloaded ok but then got halfway through the update and crashed both.
lucky was able to do a roll back. so given up on that update at moment until they sort it
Have you tried using the MCT ISO, download to desktop. Right-click, open select install, and keep files and apps. This will work sometimes when the WU failes

Reaction score
Same for me.

Don't know about "you all", but I've been running it (as an upgrade not a clean install) for a few weeks now and it seems pretty stable and relatively nuisance free.

I suspect that the "issues" are likely to boil down to some unique hardware or particular software or a combination of the two.
As is the case in my experience with most previous updates / upgrades.

As always I imaged the system prior to taking the leap. Fortunately, so far so good, but....
As they say, Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 11862
I don't particularly care to know how my computer works. I don't particularly care about how to fix MS f- Ups. To me, using my computer should be like driving my automobile. I put the key in, and it runs smoothly 9,999 out of 10,000 times ( or better). That's what I expect from my computer. Anything less than that is a defect.

What I DON'T understand (but would like to know) is why MS releases its updates into the wild with inadequate research. Microsoft is large enough and profitable enough and employs enough knowledgeable computer geeks, and has the wherewithal to own dozens of different manufacturers' computers with every major software and known auxilliary hardware to know how its updates will affect any computer on the face of the earth. Why are there so many F- ups when there's an update?

And what is the purpose of these updates anyway?

If my MS operating system were an automobile, it would deserve a low rating by J.D. Powers.

I think that Microsoft needs serious competition.

Reaction score
It's just the way it has always been, Now MS is giving us there OS for Free They are really looking out for Security so a lot of older hardware if the drivers are not kept up become Obsolete and incompatible with windows this is where most of the issue comes from. Another source of issues is OS is not in good condition due to Malware, Insufficient uninstalls of software. Most software and hardware code is using currently available modules so then these software and drivers are sharing files so when you uninstall different things get corrupted these add up after a while. There are many reasons why WU fails.
All this said. I agree with you that you should just be able to just use your computer.
Then how often do you have to take your car for maintenance you know Oil Changes, Transmission Service, Brake service Tire Rotations, just because that damm Need Service Light comes on?/// So a lot of us handle these things ourselves because we grew up that way. It the same with computers, we either take care of things ourselves or you just complain and learn how to fix it yourself or you take it to a professional. It's all a matter of how you see things. My self
I saw the potential of computers when they first emerged in the early '80s, Not having a lot of money for Tech support. I learned how to fix the thing myself. However I also change my own Oil, check my tire pressures and Keep up with the little things as they occur. If is something I can't fix Myself it goes to the Professionals to take care of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of my machines has never been online and has never had an update. Guess what? It runs flawlessly. The other one goes online. The comparison? The one that goes online is S L O W .

Ask a Question