Windows 10 crashes

Reaction score
Hi all

I am running win 10 on an HP220 Xeon with 32GB memory.

Windows will always crash when the machine is turned on the first time (or is resumed from sleep/suspend) but after it crashes and is turned on again it will not crash again (very infrequently it has but that is like 1 out of 100 times it is restarted)
Logs have provided no clue, memory tests come back solid and there is no thermal issue.
It is not a particular piece of third party software that causes it, it can be doing anything when it crashes.

HP Z220
Quad Xeon
Kingston SSD
32GB ram
Nvidia 1070 GTX

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does it crash or just restart?
My system restarts for no obvious reason occasionally since I installed a samsung SSD.

Reaction score
My system restarts for no obvious reason occasionally since I installed a samsung SSD.
Hi,
it used to restart, but I have disabled automatic restarting in the hope that I will learn something more about the crash, now I have to manually restart it as it just crashes now. It just freezes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It just freezes.
Can we assume that the machine is not producing a typical Blue Screen style crash screen with an error code nor an associated dump file?
memory tests come back solid
Have you tried running the system with fewer memory modules installed by removing one or two to see if it exhibits the same symptoms.

Have you tried the HP Hardware Diagnostics
Down near the bottom of that page it looks like there are options for you to download a product that supports constructing a USB boot device to run the diagnostics without actually booting the system.

Reaction score
Can we assume that the machine is not producing a typical Blue Screen style crash screen with an error code nor an associated dump file?

Have you tried running the system with fewer memory modules installed by removing one or two to see if it exhibits the same symptoms.

Have you tried the HP Hardware Diagnostics
Down near the bottom of that page it looks like there are options for you to download a product that supports constructing a USB boot device to run the diagnostics without actually booting the system.
Hi
No, the machine does not produce a blue screen when it crashes.

the even viewer always shows 4 Distributed COM errors preceding the fatal crash, as the image shows..

log1.jpg

The volmgr error above the 4 COM errors is the failure to create the dump file.
The four Distributed COM errors are usually like this:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker and APPID Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager and APPID Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection and APPID Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user DESKTOP-KRT3JUG\admin SID (S-1-5-21-1352744118-251833149-3386624198-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Most fora (or forums) suggest that the Distributed COM error is harmless and it should be ignored. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all

I am running win 10 on an HP220 Xeon with 32GB memory.

Windows will always crash when the machine is turned on the first time (or is resumed from sleep/suspend) but after it crashes and is turned on again it will not crash again (very infrequently it has but that is like 1 out of 100 times it is restarted)
Logs have provided no clue, memory tests come back solid and there is no thermal issue.
It is not a particular piece of third party software that causes it, it can be doing anything when it crashes.

HP Z220
Quad Xeon
Kingston SSD
32GB ram
Nvidia 1070 GTX
Notice that you have a SSD, and it is recommended NOT to use SLEEP with SSD, set so the SSD never sleeps. also recommend you set your Network adapter
1579105574665.png
uncheck the Allow to turnoff.

Reaction score
Suggest you get the Official Drivers from Samsung for your SSD and not use HP or MS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't neglect looking into your PSU.
IF you're still using the stock / standard factory PSU, consider investing in something with a bit more muscle.
Based on the symptoms you've described it wouldn't necessarily be the first component I would suspect, but I've seen glitchy PSUs produce some pretty weird behavior

Reaction score
Hello Guys

Thank you for all your comments. The plot has thickened.

First I checked the machine with the simplest way possible, I run Slax linux and it happily turned away for an hour with no issues.
Reverted to booting from windows 10 and it crushed in 4 minutes straight.

I have found out (through the even viewer) that the system thinks (?) that a shutdown was called for about 30-50 seconds before the actual crash and freeze occur.
I have no indication during using the computer that this happens nor do I see anything that may be causing this.

I am at a loss, I am currently editing the registry to remove the distributedCOM warnings/errors but I am not optimistic

Reaction score
try this
1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2.Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.

for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"

3. The event logs will now be cleared. You can close the command prompt when it's finished.

Reaction score
IT should remove all errors, so you can see if the errors were 1 time or permanent. easy method to test
Hi, thank you

No, the errors are not one time thing. There is a time stamp next to them.

This is getting frustrating.

I followed the guide on how to get rid of DistributedCOM errors from here: How to get rid of COM errors. .

BUT !!! 2 problems ... 1st .. the errors I get have no available AppID so they have no entry in the component services for me to give them permission from local.

2nd. The one DistriburedCOM error that does have an AppID... showed up again complaining about permission even though I manually set all permissions.

It is not memory, it is not power supply. I don't know if it is hard drive but I don't think so. There are NO drivers for an SSD from Kingston and I think my firmware is the latest.

Reaction score
Think on firmware is - best to find out. and what Kingston SSD do you have, also which guide did you follow since there are many "How to fix or rid DCom errors. It also can depend on Manufacture or OEM or at least motherboard,
myself i only get Warnings on DCOM. so if important or not i have no idea...
firmware =
To proceed with the firmware update, please download and install Kingston SSD Manager. If there is a firmware update available for your specific Kingston® SSD, you will be able to click on the firmware update button to begin the update. Once the firmware update process has completed it is recommended to safely shut down your system and leave it powered off for 10 seconds before powering back on again.

Note: The application must be run in the OS as "Administrator".
-------------------------------------
SSD Manager
Description:

Kingston® SSD Manager is an application that provides users with the ability to monitor and manage various aspects of their Kingston® Solid State Drive.

With Kingston® SSD Manager you will be able to:

• Monitor drive health, status, and disk usage
  • View drive identification data including model name, serial number, firmware version, and other relevant information
  • View and export detailed drive health and status reports
  • Update drive firmware
  • Securely erase data
  • Manage TCG Opal and IEEE 1667
  • Overprovision with Host Protected Area (HPA)

• ------------------------------------
  • UV500 SSD – SUV500

SUV500 Firmware Update Rev. 003056RR
    Part Numbers:
    SUV500/120G, SUV500/240G, SUV500/480G, SUV500/960G, SUV500/1920G
    SUV500M8/120G, SUV500M8/240G, SUV500M8/480G, SUV500M8/960G
    SUV500MS/120G, SUV500MS/240G, SUV500MS/480G

Reaction score
Think on firmware is - best to find out. and what Kingston SSD do you have, also which guide did you follow since there are many "How to fix or rid DCom errors. It also can depend on Manufacture or OEM or at least motherboard,
myself i only get Warnings on DCOM. so if important or not i have no idea...
firmware =
To proceed with the firmware update, please download and install Kingston SSD Manager. If there is a firmware update available for your specific Kingston® SSD, you will be able to click on the firmware update button to begin the update. Once the firmware update process has completed it is recommended to safely shut down your system and leave it powered off for 10 seconds before powering back on again.

Note: The application must be run in the OS as "Administrator".
-------------------------------------
SSD Manager
Description:

Kingston® SSD Manager is an application that provides users with the ability to monitor and manage various aspects of their Kingston® Solid State Drive.

With Kingston® SSD Manager you will be able to:

• Monitor drive health, status, and disk usage
  • View drive identification data including model name, serial number, firmware version, and other relevant information
  • View and export detailed drive health and status reports
  • Update drive firmware
  • Securely erase data
  • Manage TCG Opal and IEEE 1667
  • Overprovision with Host Protected Area (HPA)

• ------------------------------------
  • UV500 SSD – SUV500

SUV500 Firmware Update Rev. 003056RR
    Part Numbers:
    SUV500/120G, SUV500/240G, SUV500/480G, SUV500/960G, SUV500/1920G
    SUV500M8/120G, SUV500M8/240G, SUV500M8/480G, SUV500M8/960G
    SUV500MS/120G, SUV500MS/240G, SUV500MS/480G

Thank you for your reply. The Kingston SSD Manager reports no firmware update available (as suspected) and no problems with the SSD.
No failures, no warnings, overall healthy.

DCOM, after a recent windows update, the errors are now showing as warnings, but the crash still happens as described.

You turn the PC on, it will soon crash. You restart it, it will work for hours after. Check the event viewer, the log seems to think an unexpected shutdown occurred about a minute before the actual crash.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The Kingston SSD Manager reports no firmware update available (as suspected) and no problems with the SSD.
No failures, no warnings, overall healthy.

DCOM, after a recent windows update, the errors are now showing as warnings, but the crash still happens as described.

You turn the PC on, it will soon crash. You restart it, it will work for hours after. Check the event viewer, the log seems to think an unexpected shutdown occurred about a minute before the actual crash.

It actually just crashed again. As I was responding to this.
The SSD manager reports no firmware updates available and no warnings or errors for the SSD.

Since a recent windows update, the errors show up as warnings, but the crash happens nonetheless. Only strange thing is, according to the event viewer, the log records an unexpected shutdown about a minute before the actual crash.

Reaction score
Will you try my Healthfix bat it really is strange what this fixes and or why, just that it seems to fix many things... over some time i developed from different things that MS offered to Testers... run as admin

Attachments

• Health fix.txt
    676 bytes · Views: 239
Reaction score
Will you try my Healthfix bat it really is strange what this fixes and or why, just that it seems to fix many things... over some time i developed from different things that MS offered to Testers... run as admin

Thank you. The .bat file made no difference.

Reaction score
sorry it did not help. and without much more info, to sent of other Testers. you might take the diagnostic log and send to MS - via Feedback.

Ask a Question