Need help in activating a preinstalled version of MS Office 2016 Home and student

Reaction score
i bought a HP laptop 15-da1041TU, from a retail store. The next day, i had issues with windows updates and was asked reinstall Win 10. upon reinstallation, i lost access to a preinstalled version of MS Office that was activated by the dealer, using some part of my email address.

Now, i thought that HP had a great customer care center. Sadly, they do not have the basic understanding of how technology works and are confused, mostly.

Now, HP had shipped me a recovery drive to help reinstall the OS as it got corrupted (the windows update problem). i somehow managed to fix the OS reinstall problem before the recovery media could arrive.

then i called HP, to help activate MS Office. I forgot what credentials were used nor did the dealer give it to me.
they asked me to send snapshots of MS Office activation page, laptop serial number and product ID.
It has been so many days and i have not received a word from them. i called them today, they asked me to proceed with the recovery media installation confirming that this would resolve the MS office activation.
see, MS office 365 is preinstalled. They have to install MS office 2016 and then troubleshoot activation issues.

i tried my best to make them understand that reinstalling the OS using the recovery media will not solve anything. They would not understand.

I contacted Microsoft too, a technician took remote and tried to retrieve the email account that was used in the MS Office webpage. Well, this did not work.

so, please help...i spent a fortune to get this laptop (first one). need to activate MS Office

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was under the impression that most if not all HP computers came with a recovery partition and a means / method of using that to return the device to it's original factory OOBE (Out Of Box Experience). Wouldn't that help straighten things out for you?

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

Thanks for replying.

I still believe that using the recovery media is just to reinstall or factory reset the WIN 10 OS.
How would this help in fixing/resetting the MS Office (preinstalled) account?

Reaction score
My experience is that a Factory Restore puts the computer back to its as-shipped condition. It's great to use when passing the machine on to someone else. I've only had to do it once.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is my experience as well, but.....
The OP describes a problem with reactivating a pre-installed version of Microsoft Office.
I don't know if that was a trial version or if it was a full retail version or a pre-paid Office 365 subscription.
Likewise, I don't know if it was part of the factory package (something OEM) or a deal from the retailer as part of the sale.
A 365 subscription is easily managed https://account.microsoft.com/services/
I would think that a retail version would have included a product key.

Reaction score
Manufacture Recovery Media will restore the entire computer back to Original Issue, if Office was Pre Installed --> Office are only a TRIAL Versions. The Issue is as you stated.
i lost access to a preinstalled version of MS Office that was activated by the dealer, using some part of my email address.
go back and ask the Dealer.

Ask a Question