I need help diagnosing a optical drive

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having an odd issue where my DVD/CD optical drive/burner is suddenly unusable, (unavailable ??). It started Sunday when I was trying to burn a CD and my media center said I need to install a drive with burn capability. I have had no changes to software or hardware and it burned fine the last time I needed it to. So I went to my shortcut to open the drive and try to just play a CD and to my surprise the shortcut was no longer any good, in fact I got an error message . Please see the two attachments. Kinda like my drive disappeared or somehow became corrupted.

I checked on the possibilities that the JRMC error gave me and it is not caused by anything in that error message.

What started out as a possible bad drive now appears to be software related. ( I did, on the advise of someone I trusted, bought a new drive, waited three days for it to arrive and after plugging it in, and still have the same issue)

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
First method on the Microsoft support page you had me check is to check the file file for permissions, well there is no security tab under right click for the dvd drive propertys, so I am stuck at step one. Maybe because it is not really a file but a piece of hardware. I tried it when using a CD and it worked for a second but then the permissions go away, see below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok I turned off windows defender completely, since i thought it was blocking the media center, but no change it will not allow burn, says no burner installed. When first playing a CD it works then stops and I get the same error message as i first posted. I am almost at the point of reloading windows but i dont want to spend a week re- setting up this PC if the same thing is going to happen again. I also removed my MWB software and it still will not play and will not burn with any software I have installed or tried to use to get the burner to work. Speccy says the burner (and drive in general) is working properly , and the new burner will not work either, same result and same error messages. What could be the problem? I followed the directions on the Microsoft support page you suggested and checked my JR Media Center and all permissions are allowed. The drive when trying to play a CD it give the error message first posted and when right clicking on it to properties it shows the disk as having 0 bites of 0 bites, and it is a store bought Metallica CD, which works for a second, then stops when trying to play it, that is it will "discover" the tracks but when you press play the Icon for the drive changes appearance to what is in the latest screen shot showing 0 bites. Very odd situational

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 201
Reaction score
Did you try a system restore to a date before the problem started ?
Not really, this is what happened prior: On Saturday evening I thought the Sirius XM audio stream I recorded was lower in volume than normal and Sunday morning I read about the September win10 update was reported to have audio issues, (low volume on some games) and the stream i recorded the night before seemed quite low in volume, so i uninstalled the update and re downloaded the same Sirius stream I had the night before and it was the same volume level. Then i re-installed the update and when the PC restarted the JR mediac center had dissapeared, like what may happen on a restore. Now I had NOT used my media center or tried to burn the file to disk, only recorded the stream a second time to check for sound quality. It was later that day when I tried to burn it to disk that this issue developed.

Reaction score
Well, update, I had removed JRMC again during my diagnosing tonite after work and upon reinstallation it seems to work Ok, not perfect , kinda buggy, but its now willing to burn now will play CD's THRU the JR media center. If i put a disk in the tray it says there is an empty 0 bite disk and nothing to play, so almost back to normal.

Ask a Question