24/ 7 running.

Reaction score
Well working in the field and supporting up to 3000 computers I see it all the time. The problem happens when you open and close applications. They leave remnants in memory and don't close all the resources when the apps are closed. So periodic reboots clears the memory.

Reaction score
My Alienware is on 24/7 and I at time reboot it to clear the memory and the issues I had reboot go away. You can't see memory leaks they just happen. My machine is packed with resources and it still gets affected at times. My Surface Book i shutdown after using.

Reaction score
I don't see a memory leak issue with my PC. It runs continuously until it needs a reboot. And yes, I do use it :)

Alan
The only memory leak I see is Cortana constantly using memory even though I don't use it and have it disabled in GPE.:confused:

Reaction score
Yeah I was mostly kidding and I believe OEM computers and what people do on their PC's determine whether there are problems.
I'm in the "leave it on" camp and do just that, often running 100% CPU and GPU for weeks on end.
Portable machines are a different story.

Reaction score
Yeah I used to be in a project called Folding@home with @yodap. The idea was to keep your machine running 24/7 in the name of science at 100% CPU, GPU, or both. Man talk about heat. But that is besides the point.

The point is we want our machines working, not installing updates and rebooting every week or two. Machines that work in that manner don't even really need updating. They are never put in a position of needing them. And they certainly don't need rebooting every week to keep in good working order. Heck my machine that I browse with daily doesn't need rebooting when MS forces me to.

Reaction score
I agree with leaving it running 24/7. I have done the same with my home builds for years. But I do put good parts in my systems. I learned my lesson years ago with cheap power supplies. I also do not see a need to reboot my computer each week. Except for MS updates when I want to install them, my system will run for a month or so before a reboot. Only time I shut it down is if there is a bad storm in the area or I go out of town.

Reaction score
I reboot periodically not because of hardware but because of software because alots of apps don't clean up after they close which makes less resources available when you run other programs. I always buy high power laptop. My Alienware has a 1 tb SSD, 1 TB HD and 750 GB HD with 1 slot where i could add another. I bought it when 8 gb was the standard with 16 gb of ram. But rebooting periodically means a cleaner system and less SOFTWARE issues not hardware. I like to get peak performance as much as possible. Working as a software administrator our vendors recommend we reboot our servers ever once in awhile so I use that same thought for my own personal machines.

Ask a Question