8.1 Pro to 10 Home

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm puzzled by this issue I've had with upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro. I have installed our company's 8.1 Pro software on multiple laptops and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro successfully time and time again. However, this one laptop is having an issue upgrading. I used the same software to install 8.1 Pro and yet it doesn't give me the top two options to keep my profile, settings, and files because it says, "this version of windows is different than the one I'm using". When I selected the bottom option of not keeping anything it installs Windows 10 Home and not Pro. And the software is correct as I've used it before. Also, I done a fresh install of 8.1 Pro, not leaving behind any residue of whatever operating system was on there before. Any ideas?

Jared

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Very weird.....
Is there any possibility that you might be mixing and matching bit versions (32 or 64 bit), the installation media bit version is not matching the bit version installed on the problem laptop??

Reaction score
Very weird.....
Is there any possibility that you might be mixing and matching bit versions (32 or 64 bit), the installation media bit version is not matching the bit version installed on the problem laptop??
I'm 100% positive that both are 64-bit. I looked into the same thing already. And like I mentioned earlier, I'm using the same exact software (8.1 Pro 64bit and 10 64-bit) as I had before. Only thing I can think of is a driver conflicting. I also double checked that it is recognizing it as Windows 8.1 Pro in other places and it is.

I will send some screenshots in a bit.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the one, problem laptop, identical or similar to others you have already updated?
Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if there might be a BIOS update.
"this version of windows is different than the one I'm using
Just doesn't make any sense, given what you've said.
Might be time to download the ISO again
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND
Build new installation media (DVD or USB).

Reaction score
Yeah. I just downloaded the ISO before posting on the forum, but I will try it again. BIOS update could be a thought; not sure about the significance of it helping, but worth a shot! Here are some attached screenshots that back-up what I'm saying so you don't think I'm too crazy. ;)

Attachments

• 8_1_Pro_2.png
    8_1_Pro_2.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 8_1_Pro_3.png
    8_1_Pro_3.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 535
  • 8_1_Pro_1.png
    8_1_Pro_1.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 479

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you have the Windows 7 pro or Windows 8 / 8.1 pro product key....
Just boot from the Windows 10 Pro installation media and perform a custom clean install.
IF you use the link to download the ISO I posted above, it will support entering a previous qualifying version of Windows Product Key during the install.

It almost sounds like this computer has a home product key embedded in the BIOS, if so....
You may be able to clear it from within the System Setup Utility (BIOS).

Reaction score
Didn't realize it would accept the 8.1 Pro key with the Windows 10 install. I will try that with this ISO.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep... you should get
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso
That version does allow for inputting a previously qualifying version of Windows product key during the install and should activate without problems.

Reaction score
Yep... you should get
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso
That version does allow for inputting a previously qualifying version of Windows product key during the install and should activate without problems.
So I tried that iso using it as a bootable ISO from my USB. Done a fresh install and it never asked me for the key. I went to System and it shows Windows 10 Home. Tried changing the key and it wouldn't let me. And btw, no other partitions exist on the drive. I guess I can try updating BIOS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Done a fresh install and it never asked me for the key
It's probably getting it from the BIOS.
You might be better off getting Windows 8.1 w/update Pro back on it and just doing the real-time online in-place upgrade.
That's suppose to do a like for like upgrade.
Just to see what happens

Reaction score
It's probably getting it from the BIOS.
You might be better off getting Windows 8.1 w/update Pro back on it and just doing the real-time online in-place upgrade.
That's suppose to do a like for like upgrade.
Just to see what happens
Oh that is the one I started out doing on every laptop and it worked fine, but with this one that is when I started running into issues. So that is the first thing I tried when I noticed it wasn't working. I'll have to figure out something else. Not sure how to get around this honestly. And it makes no sense that Windows 8.1 Pro works but Windows 10 Pro does not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Supposedly you are suppose to be able to add a PID.txt file to the sources folder on the installation media containing the product key you want it to use and that keeps it from looking at the BIOS for a product key.
[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Maybe Google it and see if it might work for you.

Reaction score
Supposedly you are suppose to be able to add a PID.txt file to the sources folder on the installation media containing the product key you want it to use and that keeps it from looking at the BIOS for a product key.
[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Maybe Google it and see if it might work for you.
Awesome! Interesting info. I will check it out. New realm here for me. I've never had to mess with this type of problem before. Thank god for Windows 10 to keep us brushed up on errors. :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... it certainly keeps me busy.
I just returned one HP laptop and am currently working on a Dell laptop.
Practically a new cottage industry, fixing Windows 10

Reaction score
Yep..... it certainly keeps me busy.
I just returned one HP laptop and am currently working on a Dell laptop.
Practically a new cottage industry, fixing Windows 10
Awesome! Job security ftw! By the way, I got it working with the EI.cfg (EI as in Ei) and pid.txt file. But now I just need to get it to activate, so lame. :(

Ask a Question